SDS100/SDS200: SDS 100: locking on to Local Law TAC Channels & doesn’t scan- help

Turk_WLF

I’m not sure what is going on with My SDS 100, it just started to lock on to my Local Law TAC Channels (3 Channels) and will not scan. On the TAC Channels all you hear is Cracking and Popping.

When I start the scanner, it loads my favorites & then one of the TAC channels stays on & above the “System” soft button is a “NFM”. Sometimes I can press the “Channel” soft button & the scanner will cycle thru the local channels & then will lock on to 1 of the 3 TAC Channels.

Can anyone assist me with this problem?

Thank you,

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried hitting the Avoid button?

Avoiding Transmissions Avoids are common to every System in the Favorites List. Temporary Avoids cancel when you cycle power.
See also Review Scan Avoids.
Channel Avoid
When the Channel is in the display or in Channel Hold Mode:
To Temporary Avoid press Avoid.
To Permanent Avoid press Avoid twice quickly.
Department Avoid
When the Department is in the display or Department Hold Mode:
To Temporary Avoid press Dept then quickly press Avoid.
To Permanent Avoid press Dept then quickly press Avoid twice.
System Avoid
When the System is in the display or in System Hold Mode:
To Temporary Avoid press System then quickly press Avoid.
To Permanent Avoid press System then quickly press Avoid twice.
Site Avoid
In Site Hold Mode (Func then Dept):
To Temporary Avoid press Func then Site and quickly press Avoid.
To Permanent Avoid press Func then Site and quickly press Avoid twice.
Press Func then Site to release Site Hold.

JethrowJohnson

What agencies do those channels belong to? Which county? We could check the database and see if there's any information that could lead to an explanation.

chill30240

Premium Subscriber
Mine did exactly the same thing. I sent it to Jon Wienke. He fixed the cold solder joint and it worked flawless ever since. I don't think that he works on these scanners anymore so as far as I know you'll have to send it to Uniden.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Is this happening on conventional frequencies or talkgroups on a trunked system? We need to know your county and the systems and agencies you are trying to monitor to be able to help.

aj4g

Amateur Radio
Premium Subscriber
Might be a birdie or some kind of interference on your end or location.

Take the antenna off and see if it still does it. If it stops with the antenna off, it is probably some sort of interference.

Turk_WLF

Sorry, it’s my first post to the forum…

The Squelch is set to “2” & I reseated the antenna after checking for any interference even with the antenna off the problem was still there.

Here a link to the Frequencies (Marion County, Kansas) and the Channels are the Law TAC 1-3...

Marion County, Kansas (KS) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

It does sounds exactly like the youtube video that werinshades posted.

What are my options to fix it?

Thank you all for the quick replies….

Turk_WLF

Just wondering if it IS the cold solder issue (as it appears to be I think)... is it an early production issue with the SDS 100? I got mine in Aug. 2018.

tvengr

Well Known Member
On the TAC Channels all you hear is Cracking and Popping.
458.8125WQAW714MMarionCo SO Tac1Sheriff Tac 1FMNLaw Tac
453.2625WQAW714MMarionCo SO Tac2Sheriff Tac 2FMNLaw Tac
458.200WQAW714MMarionCo SO Tac3Sheriff Tac 3FMNLaw Tac
The M in the Type column means that there is no repeater. You will be able to hear the mobiles only if they are close or you have a good outside antenna. There may be just enough signal to break the squelch but not enough to receive audio. Are you able to receive sheriff dispatch OK? Check if you can receive your local NOAA weather channel.

Last edited:

Ubbe

The Squelch is set to “2” & I reseated the antenna after checking for any interference even with the antenna off the problem was still there.
On those three exact frequencies it seems to be an internal birdie in the scanner if I have set IFX to On. It doesn't help with filter settings and the signal are -97dBm with 4 signal bars down to 100dBm and three signal bars on the weakest channel. Set the squelch to 0 and take off the antenna and then tune to those frequencies and then alter the IFX setting and see if the signal disappears, it does for me anyhow. If I tune one channel step from those frequencies there's no longer any interfering signal.

/Ubbe