SDS100/SDS200: SDS 100 Replacement Antenna Recommendation

wdputman556

Premium Subscriber
There were several YouTube posts about poor reception with the provided SDS100 Antenna. My SDS 200 is connected to Dicone at 40 Ft not a good one to compare against. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

KF5YV

W8WCA

Premium Subscriber
Diamond SRH320A and also SRH77CA both do a nice Job for me.

A lot depends on what Frequencies you will be mainly listening to

wdputman556

Premium Subscriber
There were several YouTube posts about poor reception with the provided SDS100 Antenna. My SDS 200 is connected to Dicone at 40 Ft not a good one to compare against. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

KF5YV
Call is KF5UV. Freqs will be 700 Mhz trunk and VHF band conv.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The 842S is compatible - the listing on Amazon is NOT. See the first bullet. It may be a Chinese knock off

Mike

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
The Amazon listing is incorrect. The 842S antenna is compatible with the SDS100. The base of the antenna has been milled down so that it will fit inside the raised collar on the case surrounding the SMA connector.
For the rubber duck variety, the Remtronix 842S triband always got decent reviews and I'm happy with it for on-the-go use.

Amazon has it listed << HERE >>
The 842S is compatible - the listing on Amazon is NOT. See the first bullet. It may be a Chinese knock off

Mike

As noted on the ScannerMaster listing for the antenna, indicates that the 842S can be used on the SDS100.

Note that on Amazon, the listing is from a Marketplace seller, Zip Scanners. As has been posted many times in various threads, Zip is not exactly famous for providing accurate information. And another 'shocker', ScannerMaster's price of $31.00 is $14.99 less than the $45.00 posted on Zip's marketplace ;listing,

In fairness for Zip, Amazon has a bad habit of using the same boilerplate text description for products from a specific manufacturer.The Amazon also lumps the 820S antenna to the 'not compatible' other antennas that are also offered on the page.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
While I'm a frequent Amazon shopper, for certain specific stuff (like scanners and accessories), I don't mind spending a little extra to go with the specialty shops like Scannermaster. As noted above, the SDS100 is kind of particular about the antenna that is compatible.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
The stock antenna offering from Uniden is at best a trade off, a compromise, designed to afford reception on every band the SDS100 receives. That compromise looses something. (And even the Remtronix multiband antenna suffers from this tradeoff-just not to the degree the stock antenna does. The Remtronix offerings listed above in other posts are the most respected choices. If your conventional VHF High Band agencies are strong, and you want the 700/800MHz band also, you could try the shorter 700/800MHz one. That’s what I have done because my VHF High Band agencies are close and strong, so the shorter 700/800MHz antenna is less obtrusive and serves me well as I listen to a few 700/800 trunked P25 systems as well. I have both however, for those infrequent times while traveling. The Uniden stock antenna has been retired to my junk drawer!