SDS Filter Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
You get interferencies from signals as low as -80dBm, usually from the other frequencies from the site you are receiving. And that RSSI signal level with the associated signal strenght bars are a joke:

/Ubbe
Yes Ubbe is right about the RSSI levels.......right now 2 of my P25 simulcast sites I have filters set to "OFF"" and on those 2 sites I get 0 D-error but at same time if my D-error is showing a 0, I still get 85+ RSSI. Too bad there's no way to calibrate those things. So maybe we should just go by the D-error not RSSI.

Ubbe

When you get interference it is often from a frequency that only transmits some of the time, when someone use that frequency. So you should actually look at the maximum noise level and not the average value over time, as that are when you have the strongest interference and are the signal you want to reduce with a filter setting, or the IFX setting.

/Ubbe

xusmarine1979

When you get interference it is often from a frequency that only transmits some of the time, when someone use that frequency. So you should actually look at the maximum noise level and not the average value over time, as that are when you have the strongest interference and are the signal you want to reduce with a filter setting, or the IFX setting.

/Ubbe

I'll take a video tonight, but my noise levels tend to jump all over the place. I'd say anywhere between 700 and I think I've seen over 20,000 (can't remember off hand) but it's quite drastic. Is this behavior normal for the noise level?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I'll take a video tonight, but my noise levels tend to jump all over the place. I'd say anywhere between 700 and I think I've seen over 20,000 (can't remember off hand) but it's quite drastic. Is this behavior normal for the noise level?
It is normal for the noise level to jump around from 300 to 500 or 700 but if you're getting a fluctuation of 500 to more than 5000 you might have some kind of interference or nearby transmission that's causing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.