Sds100/200 vs bcd996p2?

Tsmith2262

Premium Subscriber
Hi- just curious as I’m in the market for a new scanner (Have old relic bearcat 20 channel analog scanner and an 8 channel crystal scanner before that - used to listen to Milw PD before they went to Open Sky system). Is the higher price of the SDS100/200 scanner, over say a BCD996P2, worth it? I’m in Waukesha county which I believe is using the Oasis P25 Phase1 simulcast system. Also any word on whether Waukesha will move to encryption?

Ace9133uwu

|-/ Nothing kills man faster than his own head.
Premium Subscriber
Key word: Simulcast. Can the 996P2 do simulcast? Sure, just not well. The SDS100/200’s flagship selling point is the handling of simulcast systems. I must say, they do excellent. I like the 996P2 because of the “legacy” interface it has- compared to its older siblings the 346/396XT. However, to get more bang for your buck I’d have to say look at the SDS100/200.
Both are the same user-interface wise. The only difference is one’s handheld and the other’s a base. Which one would best suit your day to day needs? Once you answer that yourself, problem solved.

Div106

Premium Subscriber
Hi- just curious as I’m in the market for a new scanner (Have old relic bearcat 20 channel analog scanner and an 8 channel crystal scanner before that - used to listen to Milw PD before they went to Open Sky system). Is the higher price of the SDS100/200 scanner, over say a BCD996P2, worth it? I’m in Waukesha county which I believe is using the Oasis P25 Phase1 simulcast system. Also any word on whether Waukesha will move to encryption?
Waukesha County has no plans at this time to switch to encryption.