Sds100 battery eliminator

RFAS251

My apologies if this is in the wrong thread. Just bought a new car and cannot drill holes for my sds200. I will be using an sds100. Is there a battery eliminator fo this scanner so it can turn on and off with the car and not risk overcharging or damaging the radio

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
The "battery eliminator" is the USB plug. You can keep it charged through a cigarette lighter plug. When the battery is fully charged, the radio quits charging, whether the radio is on or not. If you turn off the ignition, the radio will run off the battery but will begin charging when you start the car again.

I also equip all my cars with cigarette lighter plugs that are always "hot," in addition to the existing plugs. I use fuse taps (available on eBay and Amazon) and aftermarket cigarette lighter plugs that mount under the dash.

Ubbe

The SDS100 doesn't have any known function that makes it power on automatically when it is powered from its two USB ports or a battery adaptor, if that where available. It always need someone to push its on/off button. If you remove its battery it will at least be powered off when the USB voltage disappears.

/Ubbe

doc62

I’ve been running a SDS100 in my Tacoma for nearly a year using USB for power and no battery installed. I have to manually power up, but the power goes away when the vehicle is turned off. My SD card has had no corruption. Of course my radio is not recording.

doc62

From what I understand, it had to do if you were recording. There is always a risk with any SD card on any device.

dmfalk

I’ve been running a SDS100 in my Tacoma for nearly a year using USB for power and no battery installed. I have to manually power up, but the power goes away when the vehicle is turned off. My SD card has had no corruption. Of course my radio is not recording.
The database, favourites lists and settings are stored on the SD card, THAT is what's corruptible!

RFAS251

Thank you everyone. I was hoping something existed but if not I'll just turn it on and off when I get in/out of the car. Thank you much

Ubbe

Just a clarification. SD cards only corrupt if you have a file open for write and it isn't closed before the power are gone. It never corrupts if only reading files from the SD card. There is a file on the SD card where it holds the current status of the scanner when it is properly switched off but it has no time to open and write to that file if the power are pulled. So only a risk for file corruption while recording audio from a conversation, or if programming and Windows are using a buffer for data write that isn't cleared until you tell it to unmount the SD card.

/Ubbe

RFAS251

So for lack of better words I should be able to leave it turned on and just use the power cord on switched power to have it turn on and off with the car with no battery installed? I will not be recording anything. I'm sure my questions are dumb but I'm used to mobile/portable radios. My town switched to 700mhz p25 and due to cost I no longer have a take home radio. Just bought a new car that I CANNOT drill into for mounting so my sds200 is useless but trying to get same results from the 100. Thank you all again for your quick responses

doc62

So for lack of better words I should be able to leave it turned on and just use the power cord on switched power to have it turn on and off with the car with no battery installed? I will not be recording anything. I'm sure my questions are dumb but I'm used to mobile/portable radios. My town switched to 700mhz p25 and due to cost I no longer have a take home radio. Just bought a new car that I CANNOT drill into for mounting so my sds200 is useless but trying to get same results from the 100. Thank you all again for your quick responses
You will have to manually turn it on after it has power.

richardbritt

Database Admin
Any way you can take your sds200 and get it mounted in the dashboard? A shop that installs am/fm radios should be able to do it.

Just an idea

Regards Richard

RFAS251

Unfortunately no. Went from a truck to a car and there's just no room for that beast. I'm hoping that remote control head actually comes out and then they can take my money ALL DAY.