SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 GPS CABLE

glenval

Does the Uniden BC-UTGC GPS USB Cable have a chip in cable to modify RS232 Signal? Or is it just pin out modification? I am looking to modify a cheaper GPS puck with wire breakout to work with mini USB on SDS100. The original mod using GlobalSat BR-355S4 GPS Receiver is to expensive. I am looking for cheaper serial data output puck.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Does the Uniden BC-UTGC GPS USB Cable have a chip in cable to modify RS232 Signal? Or is it just pin out modification? I am looking to modify a cheaper GPS puck with wire breakout to work with mini USB on SDS100. The original mod using GlobalSat BR-355S4 GPS Receiver is to expensive. I am looking for cheaper serial data output puck.
No chip. It's just a cable that plugs into a UBS power source, and has one connector for the GPS, the other for the scanner.The GPS data flows into the cable that plugs into the scanner.

glenval

Thanks everyone for quick response. I will shop out other pucks and use my mini usb breakout to feed SDS100. When I get it working I will post update detail.

Attachments

• USB-Breakout.png
    USB-Breakout.png
    751.8 KB · Views: 22

merlin

I have two GPS setups, and looking at the Uniden for the SDS100, it looks like the integrated antenna/receiver just sends the NMEA data
over the cable. You don't need the pricy uniden for the same thing.
If your 'puck' is just an amplified antenna, there are cheap GPS receivers that output RS232 NMEA data, perhaps as little as $30.
If your puck has like a 5 wire cable, it is the integrated type. and all that is needed is power, ground, and serial data you can pipe
into aplications or radios that process the data.
One of mine is the Trimble integrated I use mainly for timing/time, the other is just the antenna feeding a GPSDO receiver.
That was like $42, and outputs serial data for software applications and a 10 MHz reference for a lot of my equipment accuracy.

Maraquistain

A BR-355S4 / BC-UTGC is still your very best option - sorry...

And yea... now double the price - ouch!

I am new and eagerly anticipating the arrival of my SDS100! I am now shopping and researching setting it up with GPS and got here.

Azamon also has a BR355C for half the money. It too is a serial receiver but I do not see any mentions of using the 355C with the SDS100 and the comparison page on GlobalSat website lacks.

Any thoughts on if the C model is compatible and work in place of the S4 version.

Thanks! ~mark