SDS100 Initial Review From Phoenix

Status
Not open for further replies.

brettbolt

AM/FM/DIGITAL reception are exactly the same in SDS scanners, it's just that in analog modes you hear yourself that it is bleeding over from other channels and hear the interference that degrade reception....
I hear loud static on analog. Not other channels.

anash9498

All really good info! I ended up getting an sds100 and comparing it side by side with the 436hp and my scanner app. The scanner app picked up everything there was (in my zip 85304, there is a broadcast that is set to all of the major PDs that is really on point) I have been working on getting the sds dialed in as it is a steep learning curve. If I can figure out how to get a few different departments to be the only thing I listen to I would be a happy camper.

anash9498

What I did was to create separate Favorites Lists for the Sites I monitor frequently, basically just imported the whole RWC system in via Sentinel then deleted all sites except for one. This allows me to key in on a specific Site if I wish. I also set each of these Systems to ID Search so that I can easily find new or undocumented Talkgroups.

While the Site Hold feature UPMan described works great, this is another method so I can just select the Site and go. Of course I use it more for searching out new stuff than casual monitoring but it might be helpful.

How did you create that? I tried in setinal and it would not carry over to where I could scan the channel without getting an error.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
AM/FM/DIGITAL reception are exactly the same in SDS scanners, it's just that in analog modes you hear yourself that it is bleeding over from other channels and hear the interference that degrade reception. In digitial modes you only hear the result of the decode of the datastream and not the actual interferencies. It is also less receive problems in 800MHz where the majority of the digital systems are. VHF are usually the most problematic frequency band with intereferencies for a scanner, where it is mostly analog transmissions.

So there is no analog problem versus a better working digital, it depends mostly of the frequency band.

/Ubbe
Nah, I can hear a clear difference with AM bleeding over into nearby frequencies beyond what happens with FM on the SDS scanners. This is abundantly clear with an outdoor antenna. AM signals are inherently worse in this regard to begin with.

Also in my situation (and it's the same from many others I hear from) UHF is the bigger problem on the SDS scanners by far, not VHF.

Everyone's situation is unique. Of course it's easier to get a read on things when you actually own an SDS to test with. Or maybe you forgot to update your signature.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
in case anyone is curious, recorded this from the Flying J at Exit 137 on I-10, i ran the system from the Pinal County line west through downtown and the radio performed flawlessly

N9JIG

Sheriff
How did you create that? I tried in setinal and it would not carry over to where I could scan the channel without getting an error.

Sorry, I missed this question from way back.

What I do is export the entire system (such as the RWC) from the full database in Sentinel and then delete all the Sites except the one for that specific Favorites List. I then set the new system to ID Search. This new System thus includes all the known talkgroups from the RRDB and displays any talkgroup heard, including ones not yet in the database. This allows me to select just a specific Site by using the Set Scan Selection menu and look for unidentified Talkgroups on a Site by Site basis and analyze the operations of that Site.

I do not use Quick Keys, I found it was easier for me to use the Set Scan Selection menu rather than try to remember what System or Group Quick Key was assigned for what.

I have used this technique to great effect here in AZ as well as my former home of Illinois and other locales over the years. Using ProScan or ARC-xx I can log the activity from that Site and listen to the activity easily. With the radio ID's also logged I can make educated guesses as to the users of new talkgroups and bolster that deduction by targeted monitoring. I usually then Avoid identified talkgroups as they are identified so I can concentrate on unidentified ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.