SDS100 Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptMac11

Premium Subscriber
I am looking into the purchase of an SDS100. I currently use an SDS200 and am completely satisfied with it.
On various postings I find references to problems with the SDS100 where it stopped working, receiving, etc. Many of these were posted when the unit first hit the market and referenced a "cold solder" issue.
Does anyone have recent experience with this radio and does anyone know how widespread these problems were and if they have been corrected?
Any and all input will be appreciated.

Mac

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
I got my SDS100 when it was first introduced, and it stopped working earlier this year due to the "cold solder joint" issue. I sent it to Uniden's repair facility, and it's working again. However, I'm keeping my fingers crossed because some owners have reported that their radios failed again after they'd been repaired, and they had to send them back to Uniden for more work.

I don't know whether or not Uniden has addressed this issue with more recent production versions of the SDS100. If they have, I might consider buying a newer model just for the sake of peace of mind and a little more confidence.

There are several very informative threads in this forum that describe the problem in considerable detail.

It's a fantastic radio if you're looking for a consumer-grade scanner that can successfully monitor digital, simulcast systems. It generally doesn't perform quite as well as other scanners on analog signals . . . at least that's been my experience in my monitoring environment.

Good luck!

-Johnnie (KC5IGH)

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The cold solder joint thing is a real issue, but it seems to be a relatively small number of early production radios. But if you're one of the unlucky ones, dealing with it can be a PITA.

W4ELL

Feed Provider
I have an SDS100 I purchased at release. It was perfect up until December 2019 when it went completely deaf because of the cold solder joint issue. It was out of warranty at the time so I paid the $89.00 and shipped it to Uniden for repair. Since I got it back, it has been perfect... the issue hasn't reoccurred.

On a side note... Uniden ended up refunding my $89 which I thought was a nice gesture.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
My early adapter one of the first 300 units had the problem sent it in March paid $89 120 days after I get it back it quit again sent an EMAIL after 10 days got a reply sorry it will cost another $89 so I sent it else where to be repaired. BTW I have not been offered my money back. I MISS THE REAL SUPPORT PERSON UPMAN.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Yeah I am finding that here lately with all that is going on these days, some people just do not do their jobs as they should, and that is happening all across the board. If it was bad before, it is much worse now. I am a pretty heavy eBay and Amazon shopper and I have had maybe 2 problems in hundreds of transactions in the last 7-8 yrs and this year alone I have already had 5 bad deals, refunds, shipments lost. Some bad actors out there are just taking advantage of the pandemic hysteria and hoping most people will give up complaining or get tired of it and accept their losses. Honest and integrity are quick becoming notions of the past, unfortunately.

CaptMac11

Premium Subscriber
I got my SDS100 when it was first introduced, and it stopped working earlier this year due to the "cold solder joint" issue. I sent it to Uniden's repair facility, and it's working again. However, I'm keeping my fingers crossed because some owners have reported that their radios failed again after they'd been repaired, and they had to send them back to Uniden for more work.

I don't know whether or not Uniden has addressed this issue with more recent production versions of the SDS100. If they have, I might consider buying a newer model just for the sake of peace of mind and a little more confidence.

There are several very informative threads in this forum that describe the problem in considerable detail.

It's a fantastic radio if you're looking for a consumer-grade scanner that can successfully monitor digital, simulcast systems. It generally doesn't perform quite as well as other scanners on analog signals . . . at least that's been my experience in my monitoring environment.

Good luck!

-Johnnie (KC5IGH)

Thank you Sir...

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
The cold solder joint thing is a real issue, but it seems to be a relatively small number of early production radios. But if you're one of the unlucky ones, dealing with it can be a PITA.

Hello, Jon.

Are you pretty confident that the SDS100 cold solder joint issue is confined to early production radios?

You and I purchased early production radios, and I'd really like to find out if the newer radios are immune to that problem.

Thanks!

-Johnnie (KC5IGH)

GTO_04

They are great radios but man up own the problem and do not keep charging the same person to fix the same problem.

Don't Uniden repairs have short warranty period? IMHO there should have been some warranty on your first repair. It's bad enough paying for that repair once, let alone twice!

GTO_04

N4DJC

90 days and it failed with the same symptoms 120 days

Not exactly a vote of confidence for repair of known issues.

Battery door, cold solder joint w/ misalignment of SMA, anything else?

I’d love to own one, and still might at some point, but the lack of customer support is not winning me over.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Each radio is as individual as its owner. You will get lemons on the production line, it's a calculated risk in whatever electronics you purchase. People work for very low pay to build the toys we acquire, so there is bound to be shoddy workmanship, sloppy soldering, and lax quality control - it happens with all electronics. You will get the occasional bad apple. The scanner market is small compared to other proprietary markets, so when people complain it is well noted and filed. Radio Reference is the only site of its kind, so some dissatisfied customers seem to congregate here where they have a voice, and even direct contact with factory reps (not sure on that anymore) and skilled users who are quick to help. So the foam rises to the top for everyone to see. All the quirks, mistakes, cold solders, hums warts and moles and flickering displays are often noted here. Seems like a lot, but in reality it is a very small percentage of owners voicing their issues here. Naysayers withstanding, the Uniden SDS100 is still top dawg in the portable scanner market.

mitbr

I believe that the only people who know what any frequency of products problems might be are the manufacturers Uniden, Icom, Unication etc, the rest is speculation.
Tim :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.