SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 not working

ncspi

Hello everyone, I am new to the community and I decided to pick up a SDS100 so that I can listen to local digital p25 trunked systems that are un-encrypted. I purchased my scanner from amazon for retail price $649.99. Upon opening the box and doing the initial setup, it scans perfectly fine but when it lands on a frequency all I can hear is a pulsing static, much like the same listed in this video here. It sounds exactly the same and am wondering what to do. Just disappointed as I bought an expensive product that doesn't work out of the box.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone, I am new to the community and I decided to pick up a SDS100 so that I can listen to local digital p25 trunked systems that are un-encrypted. I purchased my scanner from amazon for retail price $649.99. Upon opening the box and doing the initial setup, it scans perfectly fine but when it lands on a frequency all I can hear is a pulsing static, much like the same listed in this video here. It sounds exactly the same and am wondering what to do. Just disappointed as I bought an expensive product that doesn't work out of the box.
Welcome to the forums..

Try receiving one of your local NOAA weather frequencies and see if it sounds the same as that example. Return it immediately and get a refund or replacement if that's the symptom you're getting.

And for info's sake....

That defect was supposedly taken care of at the factory level a while ago. Please look at the serial number on the tag on the rear of the scanner, inside the battery compartment. The first digit after the "Z" indicates the year of manufacture. The one in this photo would be 2018.

383Z88005943

1661562387928.png

Please let us know what digit your scanner has immediately after the "Z". Thanks.

Last edited:

tvengr

Well Known Member
Take a look at the RSSI value on the scanner screen. If it is -40 dbm as in the video, you have the cold solder joint problem suggested by fxdscon. If that is the case, return the scanner for a refund or replacement.

ncspi

Hello update. I tried tuning into a local weather channel and heard the same pulsing static. Also had the RSSI value of -40dbm. I am going to return this model with plans on purchasing a new one. FYI the serial number after the “Z” character was a 2 so I’m assuming it was manufactured in 2022. Still a little disappointed that I received a broken product out of the box. Thank you guys for the help :)

Reconrider

Hello update. I tried tuning into a local weather channel and heard the same pulsing static. Also had the RSSI value of -40dbm. I am going to return this model with plans on purchasing a new one.
That really sucks if it's a brand new sds from factory and it was broken already. Sounds like the csj issue most of us had with it. You should be able to get it fixed free from uniden or get a replacement.
Uniden had mine for only about 2 weeks - it'll be here today via fedex.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Hello update. I tried tuning into a local weather channel and heard the same pulsing static. Also had the RSSI value of -40dbm. I am going to return this model with plans on purchasing a new one. FYI the serial number after the “Z” character was a 2 so I’m assuming it was manufactured in 2022. Still a little disappointed that I received a broken product out of the box. Thank you guys for the help :)
Thanks for the info. Yes, that would indicate a 2022 production date. There was a post stating that Uniden had addressed the cold solder joint issue with the J401 connector at the factory production level back in 2021, so (at least to some extent) the issue looks like it's still occurring in newer units.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
How about 384Z88001568? Mine seems not to receive some P25 also.
The cold solder joint issue mentioned in this thread results in no reception at all with while showing a RSSI value of -40dbm and a pulsing static noise. The symptoms are shown in this video:

tvengr

Well Known Member
How about 384Z88001568? Mine seems not to receive some P25 also.
The cold solder joint problem results in no reception at all. Try using the filters on the sites. Wide Invert often works well. Another alternative is to try using IFX on the frequencies in a site giving you problems.

StephenVa

Mine is 3 months old and Uniden has had it for 1 of those months because of the solder joint issue. It was manufactured in 2022 so it's still going on. According to them it's been ready for 2 weeks but there's some sort of communication issue with them and the warehouse concerning proof of purchase copy. Even after sending it to them twice. Needless to say I'm annoyed after being told the same thing repeatedly with no result. I'd go with a Unication if I could do it again. I may still once I finally get the sds100 back.

StephenVa

Just as an update... I got my scanner back today only to turn it on and find out NOTHING was fixed. NOTHING. It states cold solder joint was repaired and it's obviously not or not the issue as it's doing the same exact thing as before except without the noise. Even without the antenna on I'm getting a full signal and no traffic on every channel including the weather channels. On top of it all the only way I can adjust volume and control the menu now is through ProScan. If I try to adjust volume with knob it will cycle between 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, etc. Whatever is the lowest setting after I adjust it in ProScan it will go up 1. Same with squelch. The menu also does the same thing now when controlled via the scanner. I can scroll between the 1st and 2nd menu option or the 1st and last menu option only. I am DONE with Uniden if I ever get this fixed.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Just as an update... I got my scanner back today only to turn it on and find out NOTHING was fixed. NOTHING. It states cold solder joint was repaired and it's obviously not or not the issue as it's doing the same exact thing as before except without the noise. Even without the antenna on I'm getting a full signal and no traffic on every channel including the weather channels. On top of it all the only way I can adjust volume and control the menu now is through ProScan. If I try to adjust volume with knob it will cycle between 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, etc. Whatever is the lowest setting after I adjust it in ProScan it will go up 1. Same with squelch. The menu also does the same thing now when controlled via the scanner. I can scroll between the 1st and 2nd menu option or the 1st and last menu option only. I am DONE with Uniden if I ever get this fixed.
Let's see a video. Are you pushing the knob down to adjust the volume? Are you pressing the Function key on the scanner, then turning the knob to adjust the squelch? By what you describe (cycling 1-2-3 etc) that is what it does when you're turning the knob to cycle through favorite lists. That's why a video might help.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Send it back. I admit, I would be frustrated too, except for one thing. Uniden Repair tests them before they send it back.

StephenVa

Let's see a video. Are you pushing the knob down to adjust the volume? Are you pressing the Function key on the scanner, then turning the knob to adjust the squelch? By what you describe (cycling 1-2-3 etc) that is what it does when you're turning the knob to cycle through favorite lists. That's why a video might help.
I'm very aware of how to use the scanner. Maybe I wasn't clear in my description of the issue.

Me controlling volume and menu with knob
Controlling scanner with ProScan. No antenna but full signal on all weather stations with no traffic.

It's doing the exact thing as before plus now the knob isn't working correctly.

Last edited:

StephenVa

Send it back. I admit, I would be frustrated too, except for one thing. Uniden Repair tests them before they send it back.
It's packed and ready to go. The ONLY one thing is Uniden sent me a scanner back that's 3 months old (that they have had for 1 of those months) that is worse off than when I sent it in. No way it was repair tested and if it was stated as such someone needs to be fired.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I'm very aware of how to use the scanner. Maybe I wasn't clear in my description of the issue.

Me controlling volume and menu with knob
Controlling scanner with ProScan. No antenna but full signal on all weather stations with no traffic.

It's doing the exact thing as before plus now the knob isn't working correctly.
Ok...yes, rotary knob issue, others have had that issue here too. Not sure if it was specified in the original description, but sounds like you're sending it off again so hopefully this is it.

Ubbe

The rotary controller signals goes thru that J401 connector, as well as the signal strength data and other RF indicators. As it shows -40dBm the J401 CSJ issue hasn't been repaired and the actual rotary controller are probably fine and not worn out.

/Ubbe

tvengr

Well Known Member
No way it was repair tested and if it was stated as such someone needs to be fired.
The rotary controller signals goes thru that J401 connector, as well as the signal strength data and other RF indicators. As it shows -40dBm the J401 CSJ issue hasn't been repaired and the actual rotary controller are probably fine and not worn out.
I agree with Ubbe! With the RSSI showing -40dbm, the cold solder joint problem has not been repaired. After spending many years servicing electronic equipment, I would not condemn Uniden for not fixing the problem. There is nothing worse than an intermittent problem. Uniden very well could have tested the scanner and it worked OK at the time. The problem with an intermittent is that you never know for sure if it is fixed or not. You do what you think solves the problem and then hope for the best. We had a saying: "It always works in the shop!" I had a color monitor from one of our TV microwave trucks that kept coming back to the shop for bad chroma phase. I could never find anything wrong. I finally looked at the monitor while mounted in the truck. The color phase was definitely off. When I opened and closed the lid on the equipment rack, the color phase changed. The rack had become magnetized and that was the cause of the problem. Servicing electronic equipment is not as cut and dried as many people think. After my experience, I have sympathy for doctors trying to diagnose medical problems.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Welcome NCSPI. Here is my 2 cents: Lately I've purchased several high end, expensive products from Amazon, only to find that they were not packaged correctly, they looked like they were returned, and they didn't work. I am LIVID at Amazon for this, but they don't argue about returns. They know better; they know what is going on. They will pay for all shipping costs both ways.

Why am I saying this: You need to pack that thing up and return it right away. I listened to your video. Don't waste any time looking for a "fix." They sent you a defective unit; send it back immediately and get a new one. Do NOT send it to Uniden for repair. Good luck.

(And yes, everyone, I am still around! If anyone was worried about me or missed me, cheer up. I'm baaaaaack. LOL !) I see some of my old friends are still here also. Greg