SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 odd reception

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
For the last week or so my SDS100 has been having trouble decoding P25 systems. Some systems are coming in weak, while some aren't even coming in at all. Other times, systems are crystal clear. I'm not sure if there is some overload on the front end. I also changed the SD Card. I am just not sure whether to send this unit into Uniden only to have them send it back with changing the SD card as they sometimes do.

Ubbe

Some systems are coming in weak, while some aren't even coming in at all. Other times, systems are crystal clear. I'm not sure if there is some overload on the front end.
It sounds like overload. You can probably check the signal strength. If the signal strength gets stronger but you loose reception you are getting overload. You can sometimes fight that using another filter type selection and also try to enable IFX on that specific frequency.

It could also be a cold solder joint at the antenna connector. If you look at the signal strength while twisting and bending the antenna, to force the antenna connector to move if it is loose, and see if the signal strength suddenly makes a jump.

/Ubbe

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
Never heard of them swapping sd cards. They also tell you not to send one. Do your local weather stations come in? How old is the scanner?
The scanner is about a year old. WX stations do come in.
It sounds like overload. You can probably check the signal strength. If the signal strength gets stronger but you loose reception you are getting overload. You can sometimes fight that using another filter type selection and also try to enable IFX on that specific frequency.

It could also be a cold solder joint at the antenna connector. If you look at the signal strength while twisting and bending the antenna, to force the antenna connector to move if it is loose, and see if the signal strength suddenly makes a jump.

/Ubbe
It does sound like a CSJ issue. However, the Antenna adapter seems in good shape. I'll have to just send it in and see what Uniden says.