SDS100 programming favorites question

kc5ril

Premium Subscriber
Recently purchased an SDS100. I'm slowly working my way through all the features. Can someone help me understand programming a favorites list off a large P25 group (TxWARN)?

The goal is to have a specific favorite list to monitor at work. I watched how to create a favorite and assign quick keys to the sites I want to monitor. Since the whole TxWARN site is in the favorite list, do I have to ignore the stuff I don't want, or delete it through Sentinel?

For background, I am a Ham (KC5RIL), and in law enforcement. I'm not new to scanners, but am new to scanning trunked and digital systems. The goal is to have a favorite list with quick keys for all the surrounding jurisdictions that I can monitor selectively during the day. Does that make sense?

Thanks for the assist!

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Since the whole TxWARN site is in the favorite list, do I have to ignore the stuff I don't want, or delete it through Sentinel?
Welcome to the RR forums:
Choose Edit > Edit Favorites List
Select Favorites List containing TXWARN, press OK
Select TXWARN from the tree menu on the left
Choose Departments tab up top, highlight the depts you wish to delete then click red X to delete
Choose Sites tab & Repeat aforementioned process for the sites you want to delete
If you wish to delete certain channels (talkgroups) you'll need to expand System & choose the department using the tree menu to the left. Select channel(s) you want to delete and click red X to delete

Proscan's favorites list editor allows selectivity of objects to add so you don't need to go through the extra steps to delete what you don't want in Sentinel. 30 day free trial & $50.00 gets you two license activations. Only prerequisite is a RR premium subscription which you have already

Last edited:

kc5ril

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, Whiskey3! Makes better sense to my ADHD br....squirrel!!!

I assume that same process will work further down the tree? Sites, Unit IDs, etc? I plan to get pretty specific with this particular list.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Recently purchased an SDS100. I'm slowly working my way through all the features. Can someone help me understand programming a favorites list off a large P25 group (TxWARN)?

The goal is to have a specific favorite list to monitor at work. I watched how to create a favorite and assign quick keys to the sites I want to monitor. Since the whole TxWARN site is in the favorite list, do I have to ignore the stuff I don't want, or delete it through Sentinel?

For background, I am a Ham (KC5RIL), and in law enforcement. I'm not new to scanners, but am new to scanning trunked and digital systems. The goal is to have a favorite list with quick keys for all the surrounding jurisdictions that I can monitor selectively during the day. Does that make sense?

Thanks for the assist!
Where do you live?

kc5ril

Premium Subscriber
I'm in the Houston area. The bulk of my work monitoring is HPD, Harris County, and Ft. Bend County.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I'm in the Houston area. The bulk of my work monitoring is HPD, Harris County, and Ft. Bend County.
I kind of thought that this might be where you live. I already have Houston & Fort Bend county programmed. I worked in TDCJ-ID for around twenty-two years, mental health department.

I don't program my SDS 100 like most folks. I have made this scanner operate like an old banked scanner.

At present, I have the following Favorites for the Houston Metroplex: 1) HPD-HCSO Routine LE; 2) H-Metro Special Ops; 3) Fort Bend LE; & 4) Harris Co Area LE. Furthermore, I have Galveston, Brazoria County & TxWarn Favorites for the route to Houston (Highway 36/6).

I don't program Fire/EMS in the Houston area. However, I do have F/EMS for the aforementioned route on 6/36, from Waco.

So, if you would like for me to send you these HPE files, send me a PM. I will provide you with my email. This is the only way I know to send these files.

kc5ril

Premium Subscriber
I kind of thought that this might be where you live. I already have Houston & Fort Bend county programmed. I worked in TDCJ-ID for around twenty-two years, mental health department.

I don't program my SDS 100 like most folks. I have made this scanner operate like an old banked scanner.

At present, I have the following Favorites for the Houston Metroplex: 1) HPD-HCSO Routine LE; 2) H-Metro Special Ops; 3) Fort Bend LE; & 4) Harris Co Area LE. Furthermore, I have Galveston, Brazoria County & TxWarn Favorites for the route to Houston (Highway 36/6).

I don't program Fire/EMS in the Houston area. However, I do have F/EMS for the aforementioned route on 6/36, from Waco.

So, if you would like for me to send you these HPE files, send me a PM. I will provide you with my email. This is the only way I know to send these files.
I've got the agencies dialed in. Now it is a matter of tweaking the sites to compress the scan time some more.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I've got the agencies dialed in. Now it is a matter of tweaking the sites to compress the scan time some more.
I basically limit my listening to P25 systems while avoiding most analog digital.

There are some things that sped up my SDS 100. One of the big one was making sure that the radio was set to use the NAC code for each tower. There are some other ways to speed thing up, but I am late for work. I will think of more modifications if needed.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I've got the agencies dialed in. Now it is a matter of tweaking the sites to compress the scan time some more
If you travel with that scanner its wise to keep all the sites programmed in and set the non interest ones to avoid. If you deleted any departments or talk groups, keep the system set to Id Scan because Id Search will still let them thu.

Ubbe

If you deleted any departments or talk groups, keep the system set to Id Scan because Id Search will still let them thu.
Agree, but never delete TG or departments, set them to permanent Avoid to not listen to them when in IDSearch, as you would like to have IDSearch enabled to find any unknown TG's that haven't been reported yet to the database.

/Ubbe