ProScan: SDS100 ProScan Install problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

USASA

BOB, (ProScan)

I am having a problem running my SDS100 along with my BCD526HP on ProScan. The 536 installs perfectly every time, but the SDS100 I get a "port used by other instance". Well there is nothing using the port I assign. The two radios are the only things on, no other port is in use. I am running a Dell Inspiron 15R, I7 intel., 16Gb ram, 1Tb. HD. If I keep trying, rebooting install the SDS100 first, eventually it will run. It makes no difference what port I assign it keeps saying "port used by other instance". I have to try to install it multi times and one of them it will run. Then it will drop out and I get the "port used by other instance" and I go and attempt to reinstall the SDS100 till it finally runs. any Ideas on how to get at least a 99% of the time a first time install?

Al
USASA

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
BOB, (ProScan)

I am having a problem running my SDS100 along with my BCD526HP on ProScan. The 536 installs perfectly every time, but the SDS100 I get a "port used by other instance". Well there is nothing using the port I assign. The two radios are the only things on, no other port is in use. I am running a Dell Inspiron 15R, I7 intel., 16Gb ram, 1Tb. HD. If I keep trying, rebooting install the SDS100 first, eventually it will run. It makes no difference what port I assign it keeps saying "port used by other instance". I have to try to install it multi times and one of them it will run. Then it will drop out and I get the "port used by other instance" and I go and attempt to reinstall the SDS100 till it finally runs. any Ideas on how to get at least a 99% of the time a first time install?

Al
USASA
What is the message you are seeing? You should see "In Use By This Instance" or "In Use By Another Program" but not the one you are advising.
Are the instances of ProScan in separate folders?
I would double and triple check that another app doesn't have the comm. port open. I'm saying that because the last time a user with the same symptoms, a few years back, kept insisting that he wasn't using another app that opened the comm. port. I believe he ran Process Explorer and found out that he did have another app running that opened the comm. port.

See if this link will help determining if another app has the port opened

USASA

I have checked to see if the port is used by another instance, there is nothing else listed the only thing running is ProScan . I run one for BCD536HP and one for the SDS100. It makes no difference what port I assign (Com, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, what ever) it will some times run, some times not. But it may run for 10 seconds or an hour then it will shut down. Then I have to turn off the BCD535HP shut down the software for both, unplug the SDS100 from the computer. Plug in the SDS100, start the software, then it again may or may not work. If it does work I then start the BCD536HP and it may or may not stop the SDS100 from working. It is frustration. I have Installed only one ProScan program and run it for both radios. Is that the problem. Should I install another Proscan for the SDS100? Is that the answer? I welcome the help, I do love the program as you can tell I use the hell out of it. I run it all night and monitor all LE, Fire, pertinent security agencies, military and more. Both radios work perfectly, the cable on the SDS100 is the one that came with the radio. Thank you all and most of all to Bob for taking time out of his busy day. You wrote a exultant program. Very much worth the price. No buttering up here!

Thank You.

Al
USASA

USASA

Hi All, Bob

I installed a second ProScan, it is called Proscan_SDS100 and the other is called ProScan_BCD536HP. I will see if that works better that the way I was doing it. What I did do was to run the 536 then run ProScan again and change the settings. Hopefully this is the answer. Yes I am a slow learner.

Al
USASA

USASA

Well it ran for a few minutes and stopped working. When I attempted to restart it, got the same old message. I shut it down and pulled the cable out of the computer and re-plugged it in and restarted ProScan and it restarted. The only things running are the two radios. Checking the comport settings it has com 6, 115200, 8, none, 1 and none, that is the one I am using. No matter what port I set it to I get the same results.

AL
USASA

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
It sounds like you have the two instances in separate folders now. That's good. Keep it that way.
Now try again, shutting down the 536 instance then start the SDS100 instance and see if you get the message "In Use By This Instance" or "In Use By Another Program".

USASA

Hi Bob:

Even this two setups it will run for a short period of time and stop and when I check the port I get the same message. If I un plug the sds100 and re-plug it in I can restart. The BCD536HP has no problem it keeps on running. It is a comport problem of some sort. What could make it drop the comport? It does it on both of my laptops the Dell and the Lenovo. Is there some setting in the setup of the computer that could cause such a problem. The more complicated the device the more room for problems. Thank you for looking in to this for me. Does anyone else run the SDS100 and experience this. It happens on windows 10 and 8.1, Dell on 8.1 and Lenovo on 10.

Al
USASA

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Hi Bob:

Even this two setups it will run for a short period of time and stop and when I check the port I get the same message. If I un plug the sds100 and re-plug it in I can restart. The BCD536HP has no problem it keeps on running. It is a comport problem of some sort. What could make it drop the comport? It does it on both of my laptops the Dell and the Lenovo. Is there some setting in the setup of the computer that could cause such a problem. The more complicated the device the more room for problems. Thank you for looking in to this for me. Does anyone else run the SDS100 and experience this. It happens on windows 10 and 8.1, Dell on 8.1 and Lenovo on 10.

Al
USASA
There's no settings in the computer. The Device Manager has a Port Settings tab where the baud rate, data bits, parity, & stop bits can be changed. Those settings will do absolutely nothing. They are for dinosaur Modems.

Are you using the SDS100 bottom or top port?
Does the Device Manager show "Uniden Serial Port" for the port you are using? It probably does since you are using a 536HP unless you're using the 536 Wi-Fi.
What is the exact message you are seeing? I don't believe I ever got an answer on this.
Also can you swap the USB cables going to the 536 and 100 to see if it makes a difference.

USASA

BOB:

The answer to all of the questions is I am using the bottom port. The port seams like it shuts off, it will charge for a bit and then gone. It is only with the SDS100. Did Uniden change anything in the latest firmware? I have the latest firmware, I am using the supplied cable. It does show up in the devices and printers. No matter what comport I set it to it drops out. In sentinel it works perfectly no problems. Now I can't get it to run at all on the Lenovo laptop anymore. I keep getting "port used by other instance". If I plug in the USB cable it will charge for a few minutes then disconnect. The only program running in the background is Zone alarm, my fire wall. When charging on the laptop I do not get any warnings of "Low Bus Voltage". This is starting to get to me. Why does it not work? It should!
It works with the 536, why not the sds.

GRRRRRRRRRR!

Al
USASA

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
BOB:

The answer to all of the questions is I am using the bottom port. The port seams like it shuts off, it will charge for a bit and then gone. It is only with the SDS100. Did Uniden change anything in the latest firmware? I have the latest firmware, I am using the supplied cable. It does show up in the devices and printers. No matter what comport I set it to it drops out. In sentinel it works perfectly no problems. Now I can't get it to run at all on the Lenovo laptop anymore. I keep getting "port used by other instance". If I plug in the USB cable it will charge for a few minutes then disconnect. The only program running in the background is Zone alarm, my fire wall. When charging on the laptop I do not get any warnings of "Low Bus Voltage". This is starting to get to me. Why does it not work? It should!
It works with the 536, why not the sds.

GRRRRRRRRRR!

Al
USASA
Since Sentinel works it's probably not the cable but perhaps confirm by swapping the cable with the BCD536HP cable. It it still does it then it's most likely the scanner port and the scanner built in UART chip. If you have a micro USB cable laying around then try using the top port.

USASA

Hi BOB:

Well I am at this minute trying a cable that has 2 USB inputs. One input is a standard USB data and power and the second is a power only. It was for a old external hard drive. It is a very thick cable. I will see if that makes any deference.
My question is: If it is getting power from the computer and the currant (amps) are low but the voltage is good would that cause a shut down of the port? If so would it not give a low bus voltage. This problem has me chasing my own tail. As of now the SDS100 has been running for 15 minutes without a hitch on the Lenovo laptop (where I had most of my problems. I have also added a 5 volt 2 amp additional power supply to the USB on my Dell laptop to see if that makes a deference. What would cause a port just to shut down? I will let you know if I find a answer to this problem, just incase some poor sap like me has the same problem.
Again thank you for the help! Keep up the good work! I am beginning to believe it is a computer problem not a ProScan problem, It could be a SDS100 FIRMWARE problem, I just do not know.

Al
USASA

USASA

Bob (ProScan):

Well The cable plugged into the computer (Lenovo ThinkPad) is still up and running the SDS100 without a problem. Next I will try a home made cable that has extra 5 volt 2 amp power supply hooked up and see if that works. I am tending to believe it is a cable and power issue. It has 5 volts but not the right amount of amps or something like that. Please chime in if you want. I want this to help others if they run into the same problems.

Al
USASA

USASA

Hi all! Hi Bob!:

The saga continues! It has become a hit or miss weather the SDS100 will work with the ProScan software. The BCD536HP works perfectly every time. Bit the SDS100 may or may not work, I get the infamous "Port Used By Other Instance". There is no other device hooked to the computer (Lenovo, or Dell Laptop) just power supply and mouse, and some times no mouse just track pad internally. Sentinel connects without any problem, I just do not understand it. Does ProScan use some other way of USB port connection? I am as always clueless. Why does it work some of the time but not all of the time. What is different with my two laptops, from others that pertain to the comports? Grrrrrrrrrr!

Al
USASA

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Hi all! Hi Bob!:

The saga continues! It has become a hit or miss weather the SDS100 will work with the ProScan software. The BCD536HP works perfectly every time. Bit the SDS100 may or may not work, I get the infamous "Port Used By Other Instance". There is no other device hooked to the computer (Lenovo, or Dell Laptop) just power supply and mouse, and some times no mouse just track pad internally. Sentinel connects without any problem, I just do not understand it. Does ProScan use some other way of USB port connection? I am as always clueless. Why does it work some of the time but not all of the time. What is different with my two laptops, from others that pertain to the comports? Grrrrrrrrrr!

Al
USASA
Something wrong with the scanner port or the cable. A USB port is treated just like a regular comm. port in ProScan and all other software using the Serial Port mode and not the Mass Storage mode. Nothing wrong with ProScan and the serial port method as it has been time tested for many years.

{edit} Also Sentinel doesn't use the Serial Port mode so consider that when trying to determine the cause.

Last edited:

USASA

Hi all, Bob (ProScan)

Well, I can get it to work, some what. I get the message (used by other instance) I just close proscan and pull the plug and start over and 8 out of 10 trys it will work. Why so many problems with SDS100 and not BCD536HP, I know they work differently, USB/WiFi and just USB. I am going to give up and run the way it runs. Frustrating that it is! Bob you make one hell of a great program, I know the problem must be at my end. I just wish I could find out what it is. What is making the USB port so flakey! I do run in both computers, Zadig, is that it? Oh, well!

Al
USASA

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Hi all, Bob (ProScan)

Well, I can get it to work, some what. I get the message (used by other instance) I just close proscan and pull the plug and start over and 8 out of 10 trys it will work. Why so many problems with SDS100 and not BCD536HP, I know they work differently, USB/WiFi and just USB. I am going to give up and run the way it runs. Frustrating that it is! Bob you make one hell of a great program, I know the problem must be at my end. I just wish I could find out what it is. What is making the USB port so flakey! I do run in both computers, Zadig, is that it? Oh, well!

Al
USASA
So the BCD536HP is using the Wi-Fi and not the serial port? IS THAT CORRECT? That was one of my questions that went unanswered until now. Can you check the Device Manager to see if the ports are showing "Uniden Serial Port" ? If not then that has to be resolved first.

If you have another mini USB cable then try changing out the cable. I would also try the top port on the scanner if you have a spare micro USB cable.

Last edited:

USASA

Bob:

Ok, I have tried 4 different cables, no joy. It says "Uniden Serial Port (con 8)". When I start the computer (both) run ProScan I will get "the message", then I will un-plug the cable and click on the com 8 port and I have a 50/50 chance it will run. If it does not run then I close ProScan and do it all again. Most of the time it will run. That is how it now works. That is why I gave up. I will run it that way. I still wonder if Zadig is the problem. I saw a video on YouTube about Zadig causing USB port problems for thumb drives and other USB devices. Bob is that possible? It was loaded to run SDR. That I am not using at this time.

Al
USASA

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Bob:

Ok, I have tried 4 different cables, no joy. It says "Uniden Serial Port (con 8)". When I start the computer (both) run ProScan I will get "the message", then I will un-plug the cable and click on the com 8 port and I have a 50/50 chance it will run. If it does not run then I close ProScan and do it all again. Most of the time it will run. That is how it now works. That is why I gave up. I will run it that way. I still wonder if Zadig is the problem. I saw a video on YouTube about Zadig causing USB port problems for thumb drives and other USB devices. Bob is that possible? It was loaded to run SDR. That I am not using at this time.

Al
USASA
It shouldn't cause the issue. I would take the same cable that is connected to the SDS100 and plug it in to the 536 and see if that works.

USASA

Bob:

I did the cable change, cable works, it is good. I do think that it is some driver or program is effecting the USB port it self. That confuses it causing to drop or make it look as if the port is in use. When I pull the USB cable and re-plug it in it will work most of the time. The program then runs for some time (sometimes long , sometimes a short time). I just do not know, I am not a programmer or a computer wiz! Could fire wall (ZoneAlarm) do this? Could It be Zadig be messing with the port? I really appreciate your time with this problem. I must be the only one that is having this problem. Again Thank you for your help.

Al
USASA

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.