sds100 question about programming in airport frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxxkatt

Maxx Katt, once upon time artist.
I am trying to set up 120.9 as the tower frequency to Dekalb Peachtree airport as a single frequency and using quick keys to start scanning.
So far nothing has worked. Is it really that difficult?

Would appreciate the steps to do that either on the SDS100 or through Sentinel software.

thanks
John

By the way, I have looked at numerous videos and forum searches and nothing seems to fit what I am trying to do.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Create a conventional system, create a department under that system, add the frequency to the department.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I am trying to set up 120.9 as the tower frequency to Dekalb Peachtree airport as a single frequency and using quick keys to start scanning.
So far nothing has worked. Is it really that difficult?

Would appreciate the steps to do that either on the SDS100 or through Sentinel software.

thanks
John

By the way, I have looked at numerous videos and forum searches and nothing seems to fit what I am trying to do.
Max,
The most common problems for this type of problem are:

Service Types. Aircraft is not enabled when you first get the scanner, and/or when you first install Sentinel. Usually just "Dispatch" service types for public safety (Law, Fire, EMS, and Multi), plus 'Custom 1', which is the default service type for a new entry (you can, of course, change that during the editing in Sentinel, or when entering manually through the keypad). If you entered it as "Aircraft", but that Service type is not enabled in your Profile, you would not hear it. Check that the service type used is enabled both in Sentinel & in the scanner. Bottom line, verify that the service type used on the frequency is enabled both in Sentinel & on the scanner.

Location. If you entered this frequency in a conventional system (and it's the only frequency programmed there), first you create the system, and you then have to add a Department. In creating the Department, did you include location information? If not, and those fields are blank, the scanner treats the frequency as being in the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Africa (latitude & longitude both show as zero degrees). If that system was in a Favorites list that is set to use location control, you'll never have the frequency enabled. Either add the location details, or make sure that the system with your tower frequency is not in a Favorites list that used location control. Since you indicate you added only the one frequency, that may be your issue (if location is turned on.) Note that if you append a system from the main database, location details for the corresponding Department are included.

If using location control, and you have verified that the information is present, then review the location and range set in the scanner itself. You won't hear the tower side of transmissions unless you are relatively close to the field. However, you normally would hear aircraft that are in the air, either taking off or landing, for a considerable distance from the airport. Is that the only frequency you've programmed for that airfield? The database shows several others. Have you tried programming them as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.