SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 SD Card File Error

benny919

Premium Subscriber
My SDS100 was working perfectly until it flashed on the screen "SD Card File Error. Use Sentinel "Clear User Data" operation to initialize SD Card." I took the SD card out of the scanner and put it into Sentinel. Windows couldn't access the SD card and was unable to format it. After multiple attempts to access the card I ended up buying a new one. After I put the new card in Sentinel, I followed the instructions on setting up the new card. However, after I put the card back into the scanner I got the same message. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Here are the steps for a new card (goes faster if you can do this from a card reader rather than the scanner if possible):

1. Use the SD formatter tool to format the card as described above (note the drive letter)
2. Use Sentinel to do the "Clear User Data" as described above (you will need to check the "display all drives box" and select the drive letter from step 1).
3. It is recommended you update the Master Database (not necessary, but a good step).
4. Do a "Write to Scanner" (good habit to get into: check the Erase Favorites List and Force Write boxes. Not required but a good touch).
5. Unmount/eject the card
6. Replace in the scanner if you used a card reader.

It is beneficial to have a couple of spare SD cards just in case. You can try this for the old card, just for the heck of it. May or may not work, but try.

benny919

Premium Subscriber
I tried this and still got the same message. I can't even access the old card. With the new card everything on sentinel and windows works fine until I put it in my scanner and turn it on

tvengr

Well Known Member
Is the card locked into place when you insert it into the scanner. Is the card inserted in the right direction with the contacts down? The card slides into the holder and then the holder is pushed down. The card holder is pushed to the left to lock the card into place.

Ubbe

I tried this and still got the same message. I can't even access the old card. With the new card everything on sentinel and windows works fine until I put it in my scanner and turn it on
It's a very flimsy cardholder in the SDS100 and mine came loose when trying to use it the first time and spent some time trying to get it back in place. The SD card can move some in that holder so check that it sits correctly when locking the card holder.

Check the scanners contact surfaces for the SD card and try and clean them just to be safe. Use a toothbrush to remove any oxidation.

You should always see the SD card when the scanner are in mass storage mode and you click the "see all drives" box from Sentinel. The correct formatting will then be done by that "clear user data" operation. Some SD cards might not work if they are bigger than 32GB.

/Ubbe

dmfalk

Don't forget to set the formatting to FAT32, I believe.... The SDS100 can't read newer formats!

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
If you've had the card for a while, it may be time to replace it. They do wear out.