SDS100 vs BCD996P2 for NOVA

wradar

I just moved back to NOVA and have a BCD996XT set-up with a BC-RH96 that I just removed from a vehicle I sold. I'd like to put a scanner into the replacement vehicle, but want to know if I should go with a 996P2 upgrade that would still allow for use of the remote head (using this), or should I go for an SDS100 due to the simulcast in the area?

Desires:
- fit into a Tacoma (remote mount desired, but an SDS100 would suffice)
- monitor Fairfax and DC area networks

Thoughts/opinions?

TJX400

SDS100 or SDS200 all day. I love the 996P2 for the same reasons you're considering it, but the only thing it'd work with reliably is STARS. I used a 996 for months with simulcast systems years ago and it was not a pleasant experience. The SDS will be so much better on LSM systems.
I just moved back to NOVA and have a BCD996XT set-up with a BC-RH96 that I just removed from a vehicle I sold. I'd like to put a scanner into the replacement vehicle, but want to know if I should go with a 996P2 upgrade that would still allow for use of the remote head (using this), or should I go for an SDS100 due to the simulcast in the area?

Desires:
- fit into a Tacoma (remote mount desired, but an SDS100 would suffice)
- monitor Fairfax and DC area networks

Thoughts/opinions?

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
Suggest SDS 100/200 best bet. A lot of simulcasting esp Fairfax County. And word on the street is STARS will be fully encrypted in the near future. Fairfax got it right, stay clear on dispatch but have E tac channels for PS.