SDS100 vs SDS200 reception

rbartolu

I've had an SDS200 that I've used for a couple of years to monitor my local Fire/Rescue systems here in the Jacksonville, FL area. I recently purchased an SDS100 and have used Sentinel to program the 100 using the same config as the 200. What I've noticed is that for the most part I get similar performance between the two scanners however the SDS200 seems to work with our simulcast systems better than the SDS100 - is there something that I'm missing with the settings on the 100? I find that the 100 sometimes misses transmissions or gets garbled/distorted transmissions where the 200 has no problems (units sitting within a few feet of one another).

lbashaw

Just curious...I'm considering purchasing an SDS100...what antenna do you recommend? (Primarily in the Houston/Galveston metro area.) (TxWARN system mostly with some legacy VHF & Amateur)

Last edited:

hexagon_keyhole

Premium Subscriber
Just curious...I'm considering purchasing an SDS100...what antenna do you recommend? (Primarily in the Houston/Galveston metro area.) (TxWARN system mostly with some legacy VHF & Amateur)
Try out the stock rubber ducky first, you'd be surprised how well it works.

That being said, I now have a small drawer of antennas for different uses:

Since I principally monitor an 800Mhz system, I use a Remtronix REM-820S.

When I travel, carry the stock one along with a Remtronix REM-842S that offers Tri-Band. Don't use this as much as it's long.

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
2 of the best things i could have done to my SDS100 is replace stock antenna and learn how to adjust filters.
I listen to a 700/800 P25 simulcast system and have found that the 'Wide Invert' filter does a great job.