SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 W/ BR-355S4(5HZ)

mkm3md

Hello everyone, new to the scanning world and first post, love all the valuable info you guys provide for newbies like me! I was having issues getting my Global Sat BR-355S4(5HZ) to connect to my SDS100 (no GPS light and not updating) and I found several instances of this mentioned in posts, but none of the recommendations worked with this particular setup. Ultimately, I was able to get it to work by using a Baud Rate of 115200 (not the 4800 or 9600 I found in other posts) and now updates no problem when plugged in. Good thing, because I was about to return it as I thought I got a bad unit. Not sure if this is because it's a new version of the br-355s4 or has anything to do with the update September 1st... some of you may be able to shed light on that. Wanted to post in case someone else makes the plunge and has similar issues. May be worth a shot!

P.S. This GPS came in a box that says BR-355S4(NEW)... though I'm not sure how new it really is. Was purchased on Amazon... $99, I wish it was the $30 that I read many others mention in other posts:ROFLMAO:

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
"No GPS light".... On the puck itself (the red LED)?
The LED indicates 2 things - it is getting power (steady red), or, it has a lock (blinking).
If the red LED was not on at all, this means it didn't have power - and the baud rate wouldn't matter at all.

Or, did you mean the GPS icon on the display not showing?

According to the mfg (GlobalSat) the BR-355S4 is EOL (end of life) and was superseded by the BR-355N.
GPS tracker, wearable devices Manufacturer – GlobalSat WorldCom Corp.

Serial GPS Receiver, BR-355N - GlobalSat WorldCom Corp.

1725511002186.png
So... Amazon again has BR-355S4s, (they didn't a few months ago, last it was discussed here)... but the mfg says EOL.
And, you say you had to use 115200?

Something is fishy....

Last edited:

mkm3md

"No GPS light".... On the puck itself (the red LED)?
The LED indicates 2 things - it is getting power (steady red), or, it has a lock (blinking).
If the red LED was not on at all, this means it didn't have power - and the baud rate wouldn't matter at all.

Or, did you mean the GPS icon on the display not showing?

According to the mfg (GlobalSat) the BR-355S4 is EOL (end of life) and was superseded by the BR-355N.
GPS tracker, wearable devices Manufacturer – GlobalSat WorldCom Corp.

Serial GPS Receiver, BR-355N - GlobalSat WorldCom Corp.

View attachment 168608
So... Amazon again has BR-355S4s, (they didn't a few months ago, last it was discussed here)... but the mfg says EOL.
And, you say you had to use 115200?

Something is fishy....
It had the light on the GPS unit itself indicating the GPS was receiving signal (flashing... which I knew thanks to you guys), but the SDS100 unit didn't recognize it with neither the GPS light indication on display nor update the position (as if it wasn't seeing the puck). The only way, as a last-ditch effort, to get it to work was when I tried each Baud Rate... only the 115200 recognized it and allowed proper updating... wish I could speak more intelligently about it but I'm truly new to this.

But dang, I wish I would have caught the BR-355N was replacing it as it's half the cost. Here's what I bought, though the actual puck doesn't say BR-355S4 as depicted here, instead just says 5hz on the top and has BR-355S4(5Hz) on the back for model. As you can see I purchased Aug 31, so pretty recently.
1725568252762.png

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
If the real mfg (GlobalSat) says they are EOL and doesn't make them anymore, I wonder just who is making the one you purchased?
The 115200 is another head scratcher, making me thing you bought a 'knock-off' of some kind(?)

Take a picture of the back - I'd be interested in seeing if there is an FCC type acceptance and/or any other info.

mkm3md

Quite possible a knockoff and would be good to know. Here is a picture of the back of the unit. I’m doing a road trip this weekend and will see how well it works.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Quite possible a knockoff and would be good to know. Here is a picture of the back of the unit. I’m doing a road trip this weekend and will see how well it works.

I suppose if it works, close enough - like hand grenades....
The radio doesn't require pin point accuracy to provide the needed functionality.

I don't think Globalsat ever released a BR-355S4 that required 115200, so the possibility of it being counterfeit are high(??)
If so, concerns like lack of actual FCC type acceptance (fake) and it generating RFI and low quality of manufacturing are real.