SDS150: SDS150 Discovery

Highland518

Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2026
Messages
7
Reaction score
2
When running discovery it keeps logging the same frequencies over and over. I have it set to "NEW ONLY" and "COMPARE TO DATABASE". Also it will stop on the same old freq and sit there for 10 seconds, in that amount of time it could have scanned though the limits multiple times again. What am I doing wrong here?
 

Ubbe

Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2006
Messages
11,148
Reaction score
4,795
Location
Stockholm, Sweden
You are probably doing nothing wrong. Uniden have broken the firmware code, that in most part are basically shared among all their SD card scanners, a long time ago and there have been no attempt to correct it. Maybe the modern firmware somehow makes it impossible?


/Ubbe
 

Saint

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
5,226
Reaction score
1,496
Location
Fort Erie Ontario Canada
When running discovery it keeps logging the same frequencies over and over. I have it set to "NEW ONLY" and "COMPARE TO DATABASE". Also it will stop on the same old freq and sit there for 10 seconds, in that amount of time it could have scanned though the limits multiple times again. What am I doing wrong here?
Its broke, we have tried everything for years don't waste your time trying to get it to work.
 

Highland518

Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2026
Messages
7
Reaction score
2
Can you send a screen image of what settings you have setup for your discovery range?
Have you been able to get it working? As in not logging duplicate frequencies and not sitting on previously recorded frequencies for the arbitrary 10 seconds (wasting time) before it resumes searching?
 

pb_lonny

VK7AAL
Joined
Jul 2, 2012
Messages
2,818
Reaction score
1,353
Location
Tasmania
This is how I have mine setup.
Being in Australia, the RR database is not relevent.

With this:
"As in not logging duplicate frequencies and not sitting on previously recorded frequencies for the arbitrary 10 seconds (wasting time) before it resumes searching?"

How I have it working is that it will stop on a frequency for 60 seconds max (if for example it is a constant data transmisson) and record up to 180 seconds of audio, this is enough to allow me to ID the signal / user.
Do you want it to only record / save each frequency once? I am not sure if it can do that.

1791495986134.png
 

jasonhouk

Uniden AlphaMan
Uniden Representative
Joined
Mar 29, 2013
Messages
1,407
Reaction score
2,234
Location
Marion, Ohio
You are probably doing nothing wrong. Uniden have broken the firmware code, that in most part are basically shared among all their SD card scanners, a long time ago and there have been no attempt to correct it. Maybe the modern firmware somehow makes it impossible?


/Ubbe
Ubbe, stop spreading misinformation. Discovery mode is not broken, and the firmware code isn’t "broken beyond repair" like you repeatedly claim every time someone asks a basic setup question.

It works exactly as intended when configured properly. If you don't know how the review timers, database comparison settings, or logging thresholds interact, or if you can't be bothered to set up your discovery session correctly, that's a user configuration issue on your end, not a firmware defect.

Telling new users that the scanner is broken just because you don't understand how the feature functions is completely unhelpful.

Furthermore, back when you were making these exact same complaints without even owning the scanner, I explicitly offered to let you connect remotely to my Beta SDS150 so you could have free range to test it yourself and prove your claims. You completely refused.
 

Ubbe

Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2006
Messages
11,148
Reaction score
4,795
Location
Stockholm, Sweden
It works exactly as intended when configured properly.
That would be fantastic if it works properly in the SDS150.

Send me a private message how to set this test up, what remote software to use, what conventional frequency that are most active at your location that are in the database, clear out all previous conventional discovery sessions and we can do a test session to see if the frequency are skipped and not monitored if set to compare to database. The problem has been that it only compares to its own discovery favorit list and not the DB (or other loaded favorit lists that it does in the still fully functional HP-1).

/Ubbe
 

Highland518

Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2026
Messages
7
Reaction score
2
Yes. I would like to let it search and simply log the active frequencies it finds. I dont need audio. This would allow me to produce a scan list with the pertinent freqs in my area without relying on outside sources.

I am wondering why it lists the same freq over and over with "HITS" at 1. Ideally the freq would-be listed once and the number hits would change.
Ubbe, stop spreading misinformation. Discovery mode is not broken, and the firmware code isn’t "broken beyond repair" like you repeatedly claim every time someone asks a basic setup question.

It works exactly as intended when configured properly. If you don't know how the review timers, database comparison settings, or logging thresholds interact, or if you can't be bothered to set up your discovery session correctly, that's a user configuration issue on your end, not a firmware defect.

Telling new users that the scanner is broken just because you don't understand how the feature functions is completely unhelpful.

Furthermore, back when you were making these exact same complaints without even owning the scanner, I explicitly offered to let you connect remotely to my Beta SDS150 so you could have free range to test it yourself and prove your claims. You completely refused.
Please provide to correct settings to make it stop logging duplicate freqs.
 

pb_lonny

VK7AAL
Joined
Jul 2, 2012
Messages
2,818
Reaction score
1,353
Location
Tasmania
Yes. I would like to let it search and simply log the active frequencies it finds. I dont need audio. This would allow me to produce a scan list with the pertinent freqs in my area without relying on outside sources.

I am wondering why it lists the same freq over and over with "HITS" at 1. Ideally the freq would-be listed once and the number hits would change.

Please provide to correct settings to make it stop logging duplicate freqs.
I use discovery mode a lot. The only time I see the same frequency logged more than once is when a CTCSS / DCS /Colour Code is logged. At times, mine might log the same frequency more than once, once with the tone and once without.
 

Highland518

Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2026
Messages
7
Reaction score
2
I use discovery mode a lot, I only see the same frequency logged more than once is when a CTCSS / DCS /Colour Code is logged. At times, mine might log the same frequency more than once, once with the tone and once without.
Maybe this applies to different NACs as well? So far I only run discovery on conventional systems most hits are P25 transmititions.
 

pb_lonny

VK7AAL
Joined
Jul 2, 2012
Messages
2,818
Reaction score
1,353
Location
Tasmania
Maybe this applies to different NACs as well? So far I only run discovery on conventional systems most hits are P25 transmititions.
I don't have any P25 to test this against, but I can confirm that DMR does the same, it will log some hits with the colour code and some without.
 

Highland518

Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2026
Messages
7
Reaction score
2
You are probably doing nothing wrong. Uniden have broken the firmware code, that in most part are basically shared among all their SD card scanners, a long time ago and there have been no attempt to correct it. Maybe the modern firmware somehow makes it impossible?


/Ubbe
I changed AUTOSTORE to "OFF" and it seems to be working properly now. Not sure why but I'll take it. It would be nice to have a scan list automatically created to scan later. But I can copy and paste the discovery results into a spreadsheet and then enter that data into a scan list.
 

Ubbe

Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2006
Messages
11,148
Reaction score
4,795
Location
Stockholm, Sweden
I changed AUTOSTORE to "OFF" and it seems to be working properly now. Not sure why but I'll take it.
As it uses the favorite list called "Conventional Discovery" to match any new results against, but ignores all other lists and the DB, can you please delete that list and see if it still works?

/Ubbe
 

Highland518

Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2026
Messages
7
Reaction score
2
As it uses the favorite list called "Conventional Discovery" to match any new results against, but ignores all other lists and the DB, can you please delete that list and see if it still works?

/Ubbe
I spoke a little too soon it still is logging dupes but not nearly as many as before. And I did delete that list but I have like 10 discovery lists it may be working off. I am still not sure why it would stop logging dupes by turning off autostore, that is counter intuitive. To me this is one of the most important features of the scanner. And I see room for real improvement. It should not be a heavy lift to accomplish. I mean I wrote code for P25 traffic analysis like 15 years ago for a desktop SDR. It was like 200 lines in C++ and another 5 or 600 lines in Python. When left on a single freq it would log all the meta data in the packets; radio IDs, the key IDs, the algorithm id, etc. And it would provide summary statistics for all of the above along with stats on time like the times of day, length of transmitions, etc.. But first you have to identify the freqs to monitor. The bearcat 396t was invaluable for this purpose, very sensitive and would spin through the limits very quickly without stopping even with it logged a freq. I mean this should be a piece of cake nowadays with these AI code generators.
 

Highland518

Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2026
Messages
7
Reaction score
2
I use discovery mode a lot. The only time I see the same frequency logged more than once is when a CTCSS / DCS /Colour Code is logged. At times, mine might log the same frequency more than once, once with the tone and once without.
Yes it is logging all the different NACs and tones. That seems to be the issue. This is a good feature, but there should be used while the radio sits on a single frequency or trunked system. The discovery of the frequencies themselves should be isolated from this in order to make searching more efficient.
 
Top