SDS200 avoid question

Diznutz129

Premium Subscriber
I have an SDS200 and have reduced un-wanted channels using the temp. Avoid button, however I have noticed the scanner still scans those channels that are being avoided. If I change these to perm. avoids, will the scanner skip these channels, and therefore scan thru the channels I want to hear faster? Thanks in advance.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Get on Sentinel and make a custom list of exactly what you do want to hear. That way, it ignores all other frequencies from being scanned.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I have an SDS200 and have reduced un-wanted channels using the temp. Avoid button, however I have noticed the scanner still scans those channels that are being avoided. If I change these to perm. avoids, will the scanner skip these channels, and therefore scan thru the channels I want to hear faster? Thanks in advance.
Are you aware the the Temp Avoids return if you turn the scanner off and on?

Diznutz129

Premium Subscriber
I would check your programming first.

Chances are you have that channel in there more than once.

Try temporarily avoiding it every time it comes up.

Good luck.
Let me clarify. The scanner does not play the channels I have avoided. But I can see the scanner displaying the channels that are on temp. avoid, which causes a scam delay.

RMason

Premium Subscriber
Are you avoiding talk groups? It will still scan the systems/sites that contain the avoided TalkGroup. You can also do avoids at the system/ site level.

Depending on what you are doing, quick keys may be a better alternative.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Let me clarify. The scanner does not play the channels I have avoided. But I can see the scanner displaying the channels that are on temp. avoid, which causes a scam delay.
You must mean If you manually scroll, since when scanning it says scanning and you would not be able to see it. In manual/hold, when scrolling you will see all tg's or channels and have the ability to un avoid.

Ubbe

The scanner uses an internal index number system for each programmed frequency and it is that index number that are avoided. If you see that frequency in the display as being scanned then it has to have been programmed at several places in the scanlists.

In searches using search ranges it works differently. It first stops a search on a carrier and it then tries to match the frequency with the avoided list but then also tries to match with any additional data like subtones or digital indicators like NAC, RAN or color code. When you do searches in search ranges you can avoid a frequency with a particular subtone but it will still search that frequency in the next sweep, as another subtone will be treated as a separate hit not matching the avoid record.

/Ubbe

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Just to avoid some confusion. With trunked systems, the number of talkgroups (channels) being scanned has no impact on scanning speed, (though the number of sites does). That's because the process of scanning trunked systems is different.

With conventional systems, the number of frequencies (channels) being scanned does impact speed.

Depending how your scanner is programmed, you may have a frequency programmed multiple times because you inadvertently duplicated systems, departments, channels etc. You may have avoided the first iteration of a frequency, but not the second, third or fourth if you have multiples.