SDS200 "Delay" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marauder

Dazed and Confused
I have an SDS200 and when I run it dual with another or multi scanners such as my BC898t and they both happen to lock on the same channel I noticed the sds200 lags a very small but noticeable amount, Like less than a split second. This creates an echo effect and makes it very hard to hear the traffic On other scanners such as my bct8 and the bc898t the pretty much sync up 100 percent as they should and there is virtually no delay as it should be. I am referring to conventional freqs not trunked. Is this just natural since the sds200 is more advanced than my older counterparts or can I do something about this?

Thanks

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
It’s normal. The SDS200 & SDS100 are both “software defined radios”. You will have a slight delay, (and I’ve noticed an even longer delay on some agencies) because of the way the receiver is confugured.

Marauder

Dazed and Confused
It’s normal. The SDS200 & SDS100 are both “software defined radios”. You will have a slight delay, (and I’ve noticed an even longer delay on some agencies) because of the way the receiver is confugured.

Glad to hear it. Thank you.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Actually, it has more to do with the DSP (Digital Signal Processor) in newer model scanners than the fact that the SDR series are "software defined".

Older scanners didn't necessarily have an onboard DSP chip, in particular the analog-only models. When digital modulations like P25 became more popular, modern scanners were equipped with a DSP chip to process both digital and analog signals. So yes, even an analog conventional signal will run through the DSP, resulting in a slight delay. You'll notice the same delay in "real radios" as well, it's just the nature of the beast.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
SDS, SDR, not too far off from reach other... Software defined radio... what’s Uniden’s SDS stand for, software defined series?

Status
Not open for further replies.