SDS200 Hum > External Speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

dancrosoft

Does anyone know a way to reduce/eliminate the hum when using an external speaker?

My 200 is new and came with the noise ground part preinstalled. Hum is barely noticeable via the internal.

(Could grounding the speaker to the case help?)

I did not see any lacquer on those screws. I am going to try soldering another ground this weekend.

There is no lacquer "on" the screws, it is the board coating UNDER the screw heads...
Notice the shiny copper where the screws would be.. This is what you are after if you perform my "hum fix"...

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:

srpawski

Premium Subscriber
There is no lacquer "on" the screws, it is the board coating UNDER the screw heads...
Notice the shiny copper where the screws would be.. This is what you are after if you perform my "hum fix"...

Is this still working out for you?

srpawski

Premium Subscriber
I have an SDS200 coming supposedly Friday. Just trying to get an idea what to look for if it doesn't seem right. Thanks.

srpawski

Premium Subscriber
Is it either of these?

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Either one should work to remove the front face knobs

srpawski

Premium Subscriber
Well, they look identical and have identical specs as far as which radios they fit and from what the reviews say they are universal, and are identically priced, but figured I'd double check. Thanks.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Is it either of these?

I bought the 2n one and worked fine.

Fix is pretty easy, just keep the instructions nearby. Print or PC. I printed and highlighted the screws, made it easier for me.

srpawski

Premium Subscriber
Ok, one more question on the lacquer removal - I've seen mentioned in multiple places that instead of scraping the crud off the top to get to the copper, some have inserted star external tooth lock washers in between the screw head and the board to accomplish the lacquer removal. That said, by simply tightening the screw after inserting the washer, has that action alone been enough to cut through the lacquer to make contact, or does one need to loosen and tighten more than once to cut through the lacquer sufficiently to make enough contact? I am concerned about over-tightening or scraping away too much of the copper underneath the lacquer if using the washer heads instead of the scraping method.

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
The screws are small so the star washers would also be small, and therefore to me not beefy enough to cut through the lacquer.

Also the screws appear somewhat fragile, so attempting the above risks stripping the head off a screw.

Carefully removing the lacquer by scraping or Dremel to me is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.