SDS100/SDS200: SDS200 start up

BOBRR

Hi,

After several years, I am trying to get my SDS-200 going again.
So, for the most part, I have to admit that whatever I learned a while ago I have probably forgotten.
Certainly a complicated unit, at least for me.

Let me ask this for now, please:

I turn the unit on
Seems to load databases
Normal looking screen comes up, but only for about 10 seconds
Says: "USB Cable detected"
Then, Select Mass storage (press the "E" apparently)

But, sometimes after turning on, it goes right to the normal screen
Sometimes, it goes to what I outlined above.

Sometimes, if I do nothing, it goes to a normal looking screen automatically. Why ?

When I have to do a Select, is it the E (Mass Sorage) that I want ? Why ?
What does the other option do ?

If anyone could clarify this for me, would be most appreciative.

BTW: What's the latest firmware for it ? How would I find the link to download it, if I need to ?

Thanks,
Bob

RMason

Premium Subscriber
If you turn on the scanner without a USB connected, the device automatically starts scanning.

If you turn on the scanner with a USB cable connected to the scanner, you will see "USB Cable Detected / Select USB Mode" message. If no mode is selected, the device will automatically go into "Serial Port" mode after a few seconds and start scanning.

Serial Port mode is be used for normal scanning. This mode is used for serial control, audio streaming, raw data output, etc.

Mass Storage mode is used for programming the device and applying firmware updates (writing to the SD card)

BTW: What's the latest firmware for it ? How would I find the link to download it, if I need to ?
Firmware is applied using Sentinel. Current firmware version for the SDS200 is
1.03.06 Sub​
1.23.07 Main​
Instructions for updating firmware can be found here:

1. Connect your scanner to the computer using the supplied USB cable and turn the scanner on and select 'Mass Storage'.​
2. Start Sentinel on your computer. Note: The computer must be connected to the Internet for the following steps.​
3. In Sentinel, select Update > Update Firmware… Sentinel checks the web for the latest firmware.​
4. When Sentinel completes writing to your scanner, disconnect the USB cable. The scanner then applies the update and reboots​
The SDS200 User Guide and "Easier to Read Manual" are:​