Seattle area ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stavro35

I am located in Bainbridge island Washington. I have an Icom IC R75 shortwave radio AND a Radio shack Pro163. .I would like to try my luck with monitoring SATCOM communications. I know, like utility stations in shortwave radio, they're hit and miss. I cannot have an out door antenna for my 163. Can anyone give me some idea as to frequencies I might hear something in the uhf military bands?

SCPD

QRT
Thank you! I too am in WA state and wanted to start monitoring SATCOM more. I entered your whole list into my BCT15X (by hand, broken PSU on my desktop) Anything in the VHF range for satcom?

NOAA POES and Amateur radio sats operate in the VHF range. Amateur sats utilize both UHF and VHF for up link and down link freqs.

Last edited:

WAScanMan

WELL am I out luck since the Radio shack Pro163 doesn't do NBFM?
I could be mistaken, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am, but you should still be able to recieve in FM

NOAA POES and Amateur radio sats operate in the VHF range. Amateur sats utilize both UHF and VHF for up link and down link freqs.
Thank you! I've done some work with the NOAA sats and WXtoimg. Always exciting and fun!

Stavro35

I remember years ago hearing military traffic on a VHF lo band frequency. They instructed the unit they were communicating with to go to a specific frequency. I later found out that I was hearing communications via satellite .I even remember the callsigns. and how the comms started "Oregon base calling Dragon thunder dome" . They made contact and went to a UHF frequency supposedly a SATCOM frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.