Securing ACARS

Status
Not open for further replies.

wa8vzq

This may be old news but thought I'd pass it along anyways. There is an article in the June 2006 issue of Avionics talking about the need for secure ACARS. It specifically mentions hobbyists trying to track flights. Sounds like there is a strong move from the airlines industry to develop a standard that will be defined as ARINC 823. The article also mentions that there is a parallel push by the Air Force for the same.

http://www.avionicsmagazine.com/cgi/av/show_mag.cgi?pub=av&mon=0606&file=securingacars.htm

Regards

Dan
Apple Valley, MN

rinkerk

Dan,
I've read the same article. Yes there is concern for the hobby. In talking with other's more in the know than I, I dont think this mode will change and be un- decodeable in the next couple or few years. Hope that calms our fears about ACARS.
Regards,
Kevin

Ok.

Talk about worrying about the theoretical threat of mosquitoes possibly getting together and cutting open a tiny hole in your window screen meanwhile entire walls of your house are missing. You have to love their logic.

davidquillen

i would like to know how i can get air life flight for life on my bc296d are they not on the DTRS yet????????

kd5dga

Premium Subscriber
I had read the same artical a few months ago. What disapointed me the most is I posted this to the HFDL yahoo group and some the folks took offence to it.It is a shame that this is allowing to happen and as a hobbiest I have enjoyed this activity.

rbts

I've asked this before but got no response on the ACARS subject. What kind of messages do you get and what would a typical message you get look like? I use ACARS every day at work and I'm curious.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.