Seeking MILAIR (225-400) Ground Plane Antenna Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

prcguy

Looks like someone is making those for users of surplus military PRC-660 radios. Since its just made by some guy with no specs or credentials I would not take it seriously.

Thanks for the suggestions. I searched a bit more and did not find anything that caught my eye with a decent price. I ended up buying a Tram 1410 that I will trim to cover 200 MHz and above.

In my searching I came across this listing on eBay. It looks like a ~4’ fiberglass antenna. With the limited details I am dubious of the claim that it covers 200-400 MHz. What do you guys think?

View attachment 96225

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
In my searching I came across this listing on eBay. It looks like a ~4’ fiberglass antenna. With the limited details I am dubious of the claim that it covers 200-400 MHz. What do you guys think?

I can cover 200-400 MHz on a coat hanger. How well it works is another story entirely. I have no doubt this antenna will cover that range, but will it work well? Who knows.

MDScanFan

Understood. With the information provided, for all I know, it could be a resistor packaged in fancy tube.

I can cover 200-400 MHz on a coat hanger. How well it works is another story entirely. I have no doubt this antenna will cover that range, but will it work well? Who knows.

batdude

Florida Db Admin / Florida Forum Moderator
i want to relay something an old elmer mentioned years ago regarding scanner antennas. he was a big fan of "capture area" - more elements of various lengths, etc. something along the lines of "the more antenna, the more signal you will capture" - this is why the old "scan-tenna" (that looked like a porcupine) worked so well (it was just so cheaply made they couldn't take any bad weather at all....) the DpD OmniX and its "X" pattern seem to work extremely well, at least for me. i've added a Stridesberg multicoupler and it feeds 8 radios for me and works excellent.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If you turn up a scantenna somewhere, there is a procedure in our wiki to reinforce it against the weather...Mike

Edelweiss

Author of: Scanning the UK Airbands with the Beast
Go on ebay and find a 225-400 UHF blade antenna (search for aircraft antennas). Often people don't know what they are but they are about 1/4 wavelength sleeve monopoles or similar and fully wide band. Bolt it on a ground plane (in the attic a cardboard surface with aluminium foil is good enough). If you use them outdoors make sure the baseplate is weather sealed to the ground plane. Water always creeps in there and corrodes the metal. Don't spend too much money on it, often the connectos and baseplate is rotten (check pix) or sellersw incorrectly think they are worth lots of money. They are NOT; to use them on a plane they need all signed paperwork. They are WORTHLESS to everybody else other than you. If you are still searching, PM me., I can may be able to advise you what to look for. Brands are various, Cobham/chelton, Dayton Granger, Sensor Systems, Dorne & Margolin, Collins etc.

Cobham UK

Got several and they work a treat. Rarely you find base station antennas for outdoors. They go for a lot of money, especially VHF ones. Not really necessary, although they look like 1/4 wave ground planes they are often coaxial dipoles (no gain at all). Makes the neighbors suspicious :)

I am using a VHF UHF diplexer into the receiver.

If you are lucky you can find one that goes up to 450 MHz and you can use it for ham radio transmit , too.

firedog359

Hello all, I know this is an older post but maybe someone can help me. I have a military surplus air to ground radio that came complete in the vehicular mount configuration. but I am using it as a base. I have the correct AT-803/VR vehicular mount antenna for it that I want to use as a base antenna and I know I'm going to need a ground plane for it. Can anyone tell me what size disc I need to use? Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Edelweiss

Could be anything without data. Stcik it on a network analyser to check what it is. For UHF see my other posts, you may use a proper aircraft antenna there with good success. Bicones may be nice but if you have neighbours or a wife they may not be a smart choice...

Edelweiss

mounted to a steel plate, this should work and the price is right.
View attachment 94473

looks like the connector needs a good cleaning.
That connector is dead. If it is in such bad condition there is probably water in the antenna too. Stay away from it. Scrap. Find a better antenna.

WB8ZDC

You might try Fair Radio Sales out of Lima,Oh for military surplus. The store has a full warehouse full of old military radios and antenna's and sells online also.

Status
Not open for further replies.