• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Selecting an NMO mount (variations to choose from)

VA3WEX

Premium Subscriber
Planning the installation of a drilled NMO mount in the centre of the roof of my 2019 RAV4 for a CB antenna.

Have a few questions with respect to NMO mounts, as there seems to be quite a bit of variation in them and I don't know the technical differences implied by the geometric differences.

Some NMO mounts are tiny, almost "stethoscope size", like the Larsen NMOHF and its variations: https://static.dxengineering.com/global/images/technicalarticles/lsn-nmokhfcxpl_lw.pdf

Motorola mounts are also very small:

Breedlove, on the other hand, has three models of NMO mounts, all with large, thick, discs:

So--what are those discs for?

What would make me want to choose between the two extremes of no disc at all vs. 4-1/2" disc?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The Breedlove mounts are designed to spread the force of a really large antenna over a wide area. I'm sure there's good reasons to need something like that, maybe if you were going to run an NMO - 3/8x24 type adapter. I ~think~ you need access to both sides of the roof, which can be a real PITA, where the standard NMO mounts do not require that.

If you are going to run one of the common NMO mount CB antennas from Larsen, Laird, etc. you don't need those. The standard NMO mounts from Larsen are plenty. I've run NMO mounts for 30 years and I have Larsen NMO-27 antennas that are that old. Never once did I have an issue with the standard NMO mounts, even hitting tree branches, low parking garages, etc.

The nice thing about the regular style NMO mounts is that they are very easy to install once you drill the hole. No access to the underside needed. Also looks a lot better if you go to sell the vehicle and just put an NMO rain cap on top.

And while the NMOHF style mounts are nice, the older style NMO mounts are just fine for what you are doing. The HF mounts are designed for use up to 6GHz. The price difference is usually minor, so which ever one you choose will be fine.

slowmover

Planning the installation of a drilled NMO mount in the centre of the roof of my 2019 RAV4 for a CB antenna.

Have a few questions with respect to NMO mounts, as there seems to be quite a bit of variation in them and I don't know the technical differences implied by the geometric differences.

Some NMO mounts are tiny, almost "stethoscope size", like the Larsen NMOHF and its variations: https://static.dxengineering.com/global/images/technicalarticles/lsn-nmokhfcxpl_lw.pdf

Motorola mounts are also very small:

Breedlove, on the other hand, has three models of NMO mounts, all with large, thick, discs:

So--what are those discs for?

What would make me want to choose between the two extremes of no disc at all vs. 4-1/2" disc?

Antenna choice. An NMO34b + WD640 whip is as large antenna that type foreseen.

Someone wants to run something taller or with a mid-coil exerts a far greater wind load.

IMG_4059.jpeg

Versus

IMG_2345.jpeg

Non-NMO mount (adapter onboard), but truly high load antennas also aboard. This 7’ is one of the little ones (in load).