Sentinel Enhancement Requests

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I really want to like Uniden. but, one of the things that rubs me the wrong way is the software. I have now watched several videos of them, and both Home Patrol and Sentinel seem to be using a simple Windows interface, as opposed to a PC / Windows application such as the Radio Shack / Whistler app. the Sentinel seems to be harder to understand and uses tree branch like organization.

That's a bit subjective. Having learned to use Sentinel, once you get past the engrish menu labels, it's actually fairly well-featured.

Where as the Whistler app is a PC application that is easy to control the scanner as well as program it. bonus it uses the Radio Ref database for programming.

Sentinel's database is also pulled from RadioReference, so that's not much of a bonus.

Two things I want form Uniden are, one a PC application for controlling my Scanner Settings as well as Programing that is MORE like Whistler and its 2018, how about PC Remote control of the scanner and Video Output ( even if just RCA ).

RCA, seriously? The 1980s called, and want their technology back. The Siren app, unpolished and neglected as it is, is a much better solution than RCA video. ProScan is probably better than anything Sentinel could be, especially given its support for many models beyond the SDS/x36 family.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
And that also goes for new talk groups being received by ID search in a system in Favorit Lists.

Agreed.

Add a global setting for Delay, and make the channel default Delay value null/blank. If the channel delay setting is null, the global setting is used. If a value is programmed for a channel, then the programmed value is used instead of the global setting.

afdscan

What do you mean? Doesn't it do that?

Unless I am overlooking something in Sentinel, the only thing available to download is the full description as opposed to the abbreviated alpha tag. Most public safety radios only have room for the the alpha tag on a portable screen. I guess I prefer the same shortened tag that is used by the fire and police.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Unless I am overlooking something in Sentinel, the only thing available to download is the full description as opposed to the abbreviated alpha tag. Most public safety radios only have room for the the alpha tag on a portable screen. I guess I prefer the same shortened tag that is used by the fire and police.

OK maybe you are right - I'm not in front of it right now.

woody_46

Agreed.

Add a global setting for Delay, and make the channel default Delay value null/blank. If the channel delay setting is null, the global setting is used. If a value is programmed for a channel, then the programmed value is used instead of the global setting.

Agreed. Two seconds is not long enough when scanning multiple systems, you jump too quickly to another TG or system. In fact I find the delay too short in most circumstances.

Last edited:

N0GTG

Scanner programmer since 1997
Premium Subscriber
I wish I could adjust the width of the columns and have them stay as I set them, not jump back to the default size when I go to another screen. That should be a simple fix.

WoodburyMan

CSV Import/Export of Favorite Lists for easy external editing. By far the best editing tool I have found for radio CPS systems is this and Excel.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
CSV Import/Export of Favorite Lists for easy external editing. By far the best editing tool I have found for radio CPS systems is this and Excel.

CTRL+C in Sentinel then CTRL+V into any excel file.
Works every time.
Marshall KE4ZNR

WoodburyMan

CTRL+C in Sentinel then CTRL+V into any excel file.
Works every time.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Yes, I did do some site programming, but you have to do it on each site.

Example: I have a favorite for my Analog repeater networks in my state.
This will be in the format:
A. Favorite
1. System
i. Department
a. Channel / Repeater

A. Analog Repeaters
1. PVRA
i. Vernon
a. 50mhz
b. 144mhz-1
c. 144mhz-2
d. 220mhz
e. 443mhz
ii. Hartford
a. 144mhz
iii. Torrington
a. 144mhz
b. 220mhz.
c. 440mhz
iv. Prospect
a. 144mhz
v. Danbury
a. 144mhz
b. 440mhz
vi. Avon
a. 144mhz.
2. NARA
i. New Milford.
a. 144mhz
ii. Washington
a. 440mhz
iii. Woodbury
a. 440mhz
iv. Warren
a. 50mhz

....etc. Add another 2 networks with 11 sites with 16 repeaters in to that. It took me a good 20 minutes to enter slowly. If I could edit in excel and simply paste it in one place, rather than 20 different screens, it makes it easier. I did it in Excel then pasted what I could, each actual repeater, but all the Department and Sites had to be manually entered.

Status
Not open for further replies.