AR8200-MK3 Serial cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
In a thread I started in 2019 regarding the original 8200 receiver there was a comment from Morfis:

Another thing to bear in mind is that the auxilliary socket connections are different on the black-cased models (AR8200II onwards). Your cable was specifically made for the original model (AR8200, green case) and would need to be modified before use with the AR8200II and AR8200III if you ever picked up one of those.

Well, I just purchased a pre-owned 8200 MK3, should arrive next week. Based on the above statement what changes or modifications are needed? I have an original Javiation RS-232 cable for the original 8200.

Thanks in advance.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
If you put an @ sign in front of the user's name, it shows in their alerts, like this: @morfis

morfis

...well it didn't show in my alerts (but maybe I have them turned off or otherwise block such things?)

In the original AoR cable the blue and purple wires are grounded (as are yellow and shield). Orange was AGC

Early (though not at the beginning...beware) in the production of the Mk2 the connections were changed.
Blue became a 4V output though AoR never explained what this was for (it is connected to the AGC circuitry in some way and not shown on the schematic)
Orange became S-Meter
Purple became AGC

The Mk3 uses the same pinout as the later Mk2

My AR8200 website was not archived though it's possible some remained with the AR8200 mailing list wherever that ended up (I took a decision to stop using most web-based bulletin board systems so handed the reigns on).

The real shame is that AoR decided they didn't need the UK presence - with it wealth a wealth of design experience and most of the beta testing ...which I am absolutely certain is in part responsible for their frequent and repeated problems with new models.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
Thanks morfis, appreciate the info. So, I guess it is best to assume my Javiation RS232 cable will not work on the MK3?

I hope I kept the OS8200 cables I had, gotta do a deep dive in my wires & cable drawer.

I haven't done a lot of research yet but was wondering if I could use a USB cable with USB to TTL board and connect the OS8200 to that?

I remember looking briefly at that option last year when I resurrected my original 8200 with ARC software. I am currently using USB to RS232 on the Javiation cable, works fine. I emailed Jonathan last year, great guy.

After going the DV1 and DV10 route briefly I've decided that AOR was only the Authority on Radio years ago when the AR5000 was the unit to own.

DudleyG

Premium Subscriber
One other thing to be aware of... the size of the PORT on the side of the receiver changed during the production of the AR8200MK3 version.

Based on serial numbers...

Blocked Receivers > 554251 and
Unblocked Receivers > 152831

have the newer size port which is much smaller (thinner but slightly taller) and has a different pin placement arrangement inside of the port. I have a AR8200 (original - gray case) plus two AR8200MK3 receivers. My Mark3 receivers have the new port on the side which is very obviously a different size.

I can't tell you whether the "wiring' or "pin info - signals" changed with the smaller port since all 3 of my AR8200 receivers are hand programmed the old fashion way and I have never computer attached any of them.

I can try to post a picture of the new size port vs the old size if you want me to.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for that information Dudley, very helpful. The MK3 should arrive Wednesday of next week and I'll have a serial number then. It's coming out of Canada so I'm going to assume it's unblocked.

My original 8200 looks more green than grey, had the sticky coating for a while but it cleaned up really well.

I'm starting to wonder if the new port size requires a different cable. I've seen several conversations about using an HP Jornada serial cable. With 1000 memories I find it much easier to just fill in the blanks :)

DudleyG

Premium Subscriber
My original 8200 I bought new from ACE Communications in Indianapolis around 1998 and it has always looked gray but it develops the sticky coating if I let it sit for a long time without use. A few good rubs with a microfiber cloth usually cleans it up pretty well. Other than that, it has worked well and gotten a lot of use.

DudleyG

Premium Subscriber
The MK3 serial numbers I referenced were for US versions. Non-US (or AOR calls them World versions) should have 09xxxx serial numbers. Not sure at what serial number they switched port sizes, but it is real obvious if it has the new one versus what you have on your original 8200.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
Bought my 8200 from Javiation, a UK based company. I wanted an unblocked model to monitor analog cell calls. It still works great, have separate banks for various systems that still run analog FM. That was quite a radio in it's time. Their DV10 is a real train wreck, the one Ihad would not receive NOAA weather on VHF. I could hear some P25 trunked systems, Ohio MARC but it had significant dropouts. returned it for a refund.

DudleyG

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, you just answered the question I was getting ready to ask... How well does the DV10 work? --- I have considered it over the years and never would spring for one given the high cost plus the negative reviews on this forum. If it couldn't pass the "NOAA weather test", I sure wouldn't think it is worth spending money on it. I have an ICOM R-30 that is very similar to the DV10 and it is a fantastic receiver.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
I bought an R30 after the DV10 fiasco, much better radio with nearly as many features. The DV10 was impressive ergonomically, felt like a very substantial radio, almost Motorola like. That was the only part that impressed me though. I wish things had been different as the concept is ideal for us, just AOR couldn't deliver. At that time I had a DV1 and was able to transfer memory banks from the DV1 to DV10 which should have been a nice feature. If you have been following the AR5700 on RR then you know that it has issues also. The fact that the user has to return it to Japan for firmware update is a deal breaker for me. I really like the older AOR receivers but the newer ones, not so much.

DudleyG

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the comments about the DV10, I am a fan of the older AOR receivers, I still have my AR2002, AR2515, AR8000, plus my three AR8200s and a AR8600MK2. It is too bad that the current AOR can’t deliver what they could many years ago.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
I had a 2515 that disappeared before my divorce. I may still have the wall wart. Had an 8000 and 2700 but sold them when the 8200 came out. Have a 3000A and this week the brown truck should be dropping off an 8200 MK3 and 5000+3. I'll likely sell my Icom R75 to offset overspending.

Status
Not open for further replies.