<--Seriously-->

Status
Not open for further replies.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I just read about someone buying a plastic turquoise bracelet for $35. They added some touches to the stones to resemble the black-veined Kingman strain turquoise and sold it on eBay for $650. The new buyer complained but the seller merely commented that the proposed price was his price because of 'personal sentiment', and there was no evidence of a purported or intended fraud. No refund, no fraud, no problem. The seller was cleared and not even chastised. Be careful what you buy on eBay, as the rules and policies evolve, as does credibility and honesty.

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
I just read about someone buying a plastic turquoise bracelet for $35. They added some touches to the stones to resemble the black-veined Kingman strain turquoise and sold it on eBay for $650. The new buyer complained but the seller merely commented that the proposed price was his price because of 'personal sentiment', and there was no evidence of a purported or intended fraud. No refund, no fraud, no problem. The seller was cleared and not even chastised. Be careful what you buy on eBay, as the rules and policies evolve, as does credibility and honesty.

Shees, Why buy it and then complain about the price. Makes no sense. Just don't buy it. Sometimes, I honestly think people buy stuff on ebay just to be able to intentionally leave negative feedback for a seller.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Shees, Why buy it and then complain about the price. Makes no sense. Just don't buy it. Sometimes, I honestly think people buy stuff on ebay just to be able to intentionally leave negative feedback for a seller.
You may be missing the point. When fraud is involved, one has every right to complain. If an item is presented as one thing and turns out to be another, it's fraud. You don't know the item was misrepresented until you receive it. That's why you must be very careful when buying online.

Sporadic E enthusiast
It is probably a simple mistake. When you reach his age, then you can tell the rest us all about it.

Groeteschele

I have been burned by Ebay equipment that say in small letters that item for as is or parts only and one radio had nothing inside and buttons and switched were glued to radio.

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
You may be missing the point. When fraud is involved, one has every right to complain. If an item is presented as one thing and turns out to be another, it's fraud. You don't know the item was misrepresented until you receive it. That's why you must be very careful when buying online.

Well, this example was referring to jewelry after all, so I suppose what it really comes down it is what information was presented in the listing. If it stated it as a particular type or name brand of bracelet or that is contained certain precious metals or gem stones, etc, then it would be fraud, but if you bought it based on its price or looks alone, then you're just not a smart buyer. Its just my personal opinion, but jewelry by its own nature is a rip off, sold only on its visual appeal and the belief that its value is much higher than its bill of materials or craftsmanship. It would be interesting though to see the actual listing though.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I apologize if I derailed the thread with an off-topic example. My intention was only to show how easy it is to misrepresent an item when selling online. Bracelet, radio, makes no difference what it is, only how it was easily sold to the highest bidder and how it was listed. I have bought and sold probably 75 radios online via eBay, Usenet, Craigslist, Facebook, over the years (since 1992 when I got my first Compaq desktop) and only had one problem out of all of them. You have to be careful when buying and selling online, whichever format you are using.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
On eBay, I try to only buy from sellers with a 99.7 or better rating. If it's an item I want or need real bad, I may drop it a little but I never go below 99. I may miss out on some things but I try to err on the side of caution.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Well, he's giving free shipping with that Tram. :)
That alone is enough to think about it, you know what they say, the time to buy it is when you see it, don't know if you'll ever see it again....

Enjoyable and very funny thread, none of this should be taken seriously, and we all get the joke that this is a mistake, as the op meant it to be.

A good rule from those of us who know... Don't buy anything from tram LOL.

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Yeah, I always check the sellers rep on eBay before buying and check the feedback to see what the negative comments were on, if its on the same item I'm interested in. I also check to see if he has an actual location listed that they ship from instead of the vague 'US' type of shipping location. I have sold items on ebay over the years though here and there, and very occasionally, I'll get a shady buyer who will attempt a charge back months later with no message, they never say anything is wrong, but I always get asked to provide the tracking number in the dispute process, and several days later, the money is returned to my paypal account. I've also had one guy message me just as soon as the delivery tracking said the item was delivered and tell me he never received it, and that I should refund him and open a claim with the post office. I had to go to the post office, and the nice lady there provided me detailed tracking information on it on a print out that showed a lot more detail of the delivery than what you get online, and when I told the buyer that, he suddenly changed his tune. Legitimate issues are one thing, but selling on ebay is kind of scary sometimes with people trying to scam left and right and get things for free.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
My one and only bad experience as a seller was about 15 yrs ago selling a BC780. First and only time selling to anyone in Canada. Guy tried to dicker me down $100 without success, went ahead and sent me a check. He instructed me to write on package 'For Spare Parts Only' so he would not have to pay some fee (I forget now) so I did as he said. He then claimed he never rec'd radio, that it was confiscated at the border. To be nice (lol) he suggested we compromise and I should pay him $100 and we'd call it even. Really? Fat chance. Package could not be tracked, but he could not provide a receipt by the officials at the border. When I refused to give in, he started an online smear campaign, even going so far as inventing alter-egos and posting in the newsgroup how I defrauded them. Long story short, there were a few guys in the newsgroup who were computer whiz types who tracked him and all of his fake personalities to the same computer in a library in downtown Toronto. Poof, he disappeared. I have never since sold to anyone in Canada. No offense to Canadians here. The USPS tracking system in 2003-04 stopped at the border. Luckily, I have never had a problem since, knock on wood. We live and learn.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
I ran across that once on ebay. Something that I was interested in, had a price that was way out of wack. I asked the seller about it and he thanked me up and down for pointing it out to him. He added one too many 9s to the price. You never know until you ask.

wscranston

ebay sellers do this sometimes when they are out of stock and they don't want anybody to order the item. This avoids the listing fee they would have to pay if they took it down and then relisted it later.

Status
Not open for further replies.