Shortwave receiver ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redchord11

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I got the receiver last week- Lucked out nicely. It was definitely never used before. Everything looked untouched and still had that first time "unboxing" feel to it.

I hooked up my old RF System EMF Antenna. I used to have it set up properly back when I lived back home - but so far I just have it messily strung around my room. I don't pick up much stuff during the day (past 1 MHZ), but there is some nice activity at night. I hear a ton of bible belt broadcasts.

I must say, even being a novice- the R75 is a pleasure to use. I was able to dig out some buried signals using the sweet DSP features- huge difference from my old NRD-525.

Last edited:

redchord11

Also, Is there any interesting stuff on the 30-60 mhz band (besides OLD cordless phones) hehe. Recommend any wire or whip antennas for that spectrum?

Tommahawk

redchord11 said:
Also, Is there any interesting stuff on the 30-60 mhz band (besides OLD cordless phones) hehe. Recommend any wire or whip antennas for that spectrum?

Yep, there are tons of stuff depeneding on what area of the County you are in. If the band is open you will know it. The solar cycle is on its way up and having lowband vhf receive capability is a definite thing to have. Its not always active but when the skip is around you never know what you will hear......

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
eorange said:
Synchronous Detection: I have the Sony 7600GR which has this feature, and I have to say while it works well, it wouldn't be a must-have for me in the future. Sure it keeps AM broadcast stations in tune, but it doesn't seem to work on sideband stations (can someone confirm it's supposed to do this on sideband?)

Even on AM broadcast, I'd trade this feature for better sensitivity.

I tend to agree. I bought the 7600GR mainly because of the consensus that SyncDetect was an essential feature for fatigue-free SWL. Well, that and the proven quality. I figured that these two items would be superior to the two major drawbacks of the unit being speaker quality and lack of a tuning knob. In retrospect, I find that the sync detect doesnt do too much for me. Only a handfull of times did it make a meaningfull difference. I am also assuming that my findings are somewhat skewed by my use of the radio in a fairly urban enviroment. I do find that my reception is quite good though in any enviroment. I have been too busy the past few decent weekends to get any meaningfull time with the radio on the shoreline, which I expect to have less RF noise and maybe find the SyncDetect function be more usefull in the different setting. However, as it stands right now, I dont think that the SyncDetect is going to be a "must-have" on future radio purchases. DSP and PBT options appear to be far more usefull. Understandably, these would not likely show up in a portable.

lanbergld

Well I know I miss my IC R-75! I'd sold it a couple months back so I could afford the Uniden BCD996T APCO-25 scanner. I eventually replaced the IC-R75 with a couple of lower-priced receivers -- including a good used Kenwood R-1000 -- but nothing I've used since has the outstanding sensitivity of that R-75. Kickin' myself in the butt.

Status
Not open for further replies.