Should I Go With SMA or BNC Antenna Connectors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the situation...

I have a "Blue" BaoFeng BF-F9 V2+, ie:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PTJ3LCG/ref=twister_B0192F343S?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It takes a standard "SMA-Female" threaded antenna connection. Unfortunately, the
unit came with the standard "Black" 5 3/4 inch rubber duckie.

https://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-Orig...ng Rubber Duckie Antennas&tag=viglink20662-20

I'm looking to up-grade the antenna that came with the unit. I thought, "if I'm going to
do so, why not track down a "Blue" one... if they're even made." It wasn't that hard,
via Google. I found this 14.9 inch "Blue" RH-771 SMA-Female Antenna @ $8.25

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0728C99D...&qid=1534449915&sr=1-57&keywords=Ham+Antennas

After reading many posts here, there are many of you that lean toward antennas that
use BNC as the end connectors. Realizing this, I hunted some more and came up with
this "Blue" RH-771 BNC-Female Antenna @ $9.25.

https://www.amazon.com/NAGOYA-Repla...1533700608&sr=1-62&keywords=ham+radio+antenna

Knowing it has a "BNC-Female" end connection, I would also need to get a "SMA-Female
to BNC-Female" adapter for a additional $5.99

https://www.amazon.com/DGZZI-2-Pack...8&keywords=SMA-Female+to+BNC-Female+connector

Now I don't mind spending the extra money if it's going to give me a more easy, safe and
reliable way of being able to temporarily (until I get a base station), change from the 15"
whip to not only a mobile antenna, but a home rooftop too.

So... the question is: "What would you do... and in which direction would you go?

What Say You?

Once again... Thanks for taking the time to read and reply to this post.

73's to ya...

BaoFeng Blogger

n5ims

For a handheld, if at all possible get your replacement antenna that uses the same connector (well, perhaps the mating connector would be a better term) used by your radio and avoid adapters. An adapter will add bulk, weight, and failure points to your antenna system. The additional bulk and weight will quickly translate into damage to your radio. The adapter may also make it impossible to attach to your radio since the small size of the radio has the controls just as close together as possible so the extra size may prevent it from attaching to the radio properly.

Now as a counter to what I said above, if you're using the handheld as a base or mobile with an external antenna the connector on the antenna itself really isn't that important. The coax between the antenna and the radio will take care of any differences there. Actually it's probably a good idea to have a moderate size jumper that uses small, flexible coax between the main coax and the radio. This will help to keep the heavy low-loss coax to your antenna from stressing your small, fragile SMA connector on your HT.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If you plan on switching antennas regularly, BNC is much better. SMA requires multiple turns of the connector parts to connect and disconnect, while BNC is a 1/4-turn of the locking ring and the actual connector goes straight in and out. So it's faster to switch, and less wear on the connectors.

The adapter loss is insignificant if the adapter is good quality. It's hard to notice a 3dB loss in most cases, a 0.1dB loss is never going to cause a perceptible difference in reception unless you're using lab-grade test equipment.

It is not correct to say that an adapter will cause damage to the radio, a properly designed adapter with a decent-diameter shoulder will reduce stress on the SMA connector, (the larger the shoulder, the more sideways force needed to break it). As long as the adapter isn't so big that it rubs against adjacent knobs or blocks controls, you're fine.

An adapter takes all the wear of changing antennas in place of the radio connector. The only time the radio connector will experience any wear is when replacing the adapter.

And last, the biggest problem with SMA connectors is that there is no standard regarding how far the connector should protrude from the device, so there are a variety of semi-compatible variants that require washers or spacers for things to fit properly (the base of the antenna contacting the radio body just before the SMA connector itself bottoms out). That is not an issue with BNC connectors. All you need to do is find an adapter that fits the radio correctly, and all antenna fitment issues are solved.

Golay

Premium Subscriber
I agree

I agree with everything jonwienke said. Get a SMA to BNC adapter.
SMA's are superior connectors to BNC. Without a doubt. But they are designed to stay put. It's not a connector meant to be removed and replaced a bunch of times.
When you do that on an SMA, the center contact on the female side will start spreading on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.