Should I sell my sds100?

Mogley

Premium Subscriber
I picked up the sds100 a few years back to monitor erie county Pennsylvania's simulcast system while I was up finishing up my masters degree in cyber security. I am now back home for good.

I live in Allegheny County Pennsylvania. Everything here public safety wise is analog. My muncipality got an analog upgrade over 1 million dollar upgrade so they arent gonna go digital anytime soon.

I primarily use my motorolas for monitoring and it seems to me my sds just collects dust on my night stand.
My local PD is one frequency and everyone around me is on a second frequency since its a "county dispatch" So my XPR 7550 and XTS 5000 is primarily what I use to listen.

Should I sell my sds 100?
Will Allegheny County go digital at any time soon?
Should I keep it and wait?

Please let me know.

MStep

If you are not in urgent need of cash, I would hold onto it for the time being. Since there appears to be nothing new on the horizon from Uniden, it should maintain it's current resale value. One exception might be if you get an especially generous offer from someone who is interested in the unit and you can take something less than a $100 loss on what you paid, then perhaps you could bank that cash for future eventualities. Just one man's opinion.

jeffm77

well, on selling your SDS100, I would say no. Yes, Allegheny County does have plans and will be going to P25 in the future. Not sure exactly when, but it will be in the works within a year or so. They already have the license and frequencies to do the switch over. I think it is discussed in the Pennsylvania forums. I am in North Versailles. I use my SDS100 to mostly listen to Westmoreland County, DMR and NXDN. On the county going to P25, from what I understand, it will be done in sections. The city of PGH first. The DPW has already made the switch over from DMR to P25. The rumor is, the PD will be encrypted. So, we will more than likely lose the city of Pittsburgh monitoring of PD. Not sure if there are any plans to encrypt the fire and EMS. The guy in charge of the county's radio systems is pushing this really hard. They are tired of illegal radios on their system, AKA Baofengs. It all started a few years back, when someone was playing circus music on a fire ops channel while an active incident was going on. Putting firefighter's lives at stake, since they could not talk to the dispatch or each other. So, he wants to go digital, eliminating the unauthorized radios on the system. And the music incident happens quit often. I myself have heard it numerous times on east fire ops 4. Not recently though, it has been a while. But, if you look through the threads on here, you will see the post about Allegheny County switching. The city will be 1st to switch, then rumor is, they will slowly migrate the rest of the county over.

See this post:

IStebleton

Premium Subscriber
In the next 5-7 years the entire county is going to be on a Countywide UHF (Likely all, or at least mostly T band) P25 PII system. I would hang onto your SDS100 for now if I were you.

spanner

Premium Subscriber
I picked up the sds100 a few years back to monitor erie county Pennsylvania's simulcast system while I was up finishing up my masters degree in cyber security. I am now back home for good.

I live in Allegheny County Pennsylvania. Everything here public safety wise is analog. My muncipality got an analog upgrade over 1 million dollar upgrade so they arent gonna go digital anytime soon.

I primarily use my motorolas for monitoring and it seems to me my sds just collects dust on my night stand.
My local PD is one frequency and everyone around me is on a second frequency since its a "county dispatch" So my XPR 7550 and XTS 5000 is primarily what I use to listen.

Should I sell my sds 100?
Will Allegheny County go digital at any time soon?
Should I keep it and wait?

Please let me know.
I need one for my PU Truck, so send me a PM on price.

V/r,
Carl

Mogley

Premium Subscriber
I need one for my PU Truck, so send me a PM on price.

V/r,
Carl
Unfortunately as other people advised me, because my county will become digital within the next few years I should keep it. Il probably keep it so I dont have to rebuy one when everything goes digital.