Sig Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfish

Premium Subscriber
hotdjdave said:
Notice the font size is still small.
Actually, the font size is rather large. I have to agree with flyingwolf there..

I opt for limiting sigs to plaintext only, no formatting. People with huge fonts for their sig normally post less than their sig takes up.

D

DaveNF2G

I suppose I could mention my memberships in ARES, RACES, and Skywarn. Maybe I could add my FEMA certifications. Hmm.... :lol:

musicman476

RR DB Admin
Database Admin
I completely agree with the arguments here that some of the sigs have been too long, but if they really bother you that much don't forget that you have a choice in the User Control Panel to display sigs, avatars, and images or not.

-DT

morfis

musicman476 said:
I completely agree with the arguments here that some of the sigs have been too long, but if they really bother you that much don't forget that you have a choice in the User Control Panel to display sigs, avatars, and images or not.

-DT

Though this solution isn't too good either. I don't mind signatures as long as they are not OTT. On my PCs I have them displayed. The problem for me is that I also use a phone to look at the bulletin boards and cannot have a separate 'profile' for that.

rhutch

hotdjdave said:
I had mine like that (vertically) at one time , but I put my list to the minimum font size and my list is somewhat shorter. However, I decided one day to put mine horizontally, taking up only one line (like it is now) - much better. Notice the font size is still small.

I don't see a problem with people wanting some space to put their signature, some silly quote, their website, and/or their radios; but listing them one-by-one like that is a little too much (long).

Just my thoughts.

What like the 8 or so lines you have are not a waste.

Dubbin

Feed Provider
hotdjdave said:
You have four lines and I have five lines; I only count five lines of text.

Dave you are forgetting to count the emtpy lines. They take up space so they are counted.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Dubbin said:
Dave you are forgetting to count the emtpy lines. They take up space so they are counted.
Oh...lol. I was only counting actual lines of text and not seprating space between. :lol:

So if I removed the spaces, I would only have 5 lines? But then it would look crappy! ;)

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Dubbin said:
It already looks crappy :D

I agree 100%!

What if the signature lines were limited to the same size that Motorola radios were (8 characters). M/A-Com Orions (2 lines with 8 on each line). Or I'll be lineate and say 2 lines - 12 characters long like the 396.

It's called a "signature" line, not a "list what ever is on my mind every time I post" line or "list everything I own in my house except the kitchen sink" line...

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Here's a thought. Just for fun why don't you put up a special website that is only linked by your signature and put a counter on it.

Change your signature to have ONLY that link on it.

Now, here's the good part. Check it in 1 month. That will give you an idea of who actually cares what your sig-line says. If it doesn't equal or exceed your post count for the same given time period, then you'll know for sure that no one cares what your current inventory is... Maybe one day you'll understand the importance of signature lines.

Remember to PLEASE make sure you put a counter on it so everyone can see how important that signature is.

D

DaveNF2G

Dubbin said:

By whom?

A blank line takes up no space except for the extra carriage return, which is one character long, not a full line.

This thread is getting really stupid, and is degenerating into name-calling. I would have closed it by now if I had the power (which I don't).

pfish

Premium Subscriber
DaveNF2G said:
By whom?

A blank line takes up no space except for the extra carriage return, which is one character long, not a full line.

This thread is getting really stupid, and is degenerating into name-calling. I would have closed it by now if I had the power (which I don't).

New lines count as a line.

When you calculate how many lines are in a file, newlines are indeed counted as a line.

Code:
> less hotdjdave 
Dave ;]~

"Radio Check" ... "Yep, it's a radio."

"The quickest way from point A to point B is NOT a straight line when taking into account the curvature of the earth, but more importantly, 
when there is a GIANT object in the way." - DJW

Radios: Uniden BCD396T, BCT7, MR8100; iCOM IC-PCR1000, W2A, IC-R1; Motorola MTS2000, CP100, other Motos; GMRS/FRS; Kenwood; many others.
> wc -l hotdjdave 
       7 hotdjdave
>
Add a newline at the end, and that makes it 8 lines. Not to mention the huge font size.

Dubbin

Feed Provider
DaveNF2G said:

I see no name calling going on here...

Status
Not open for further replies.