• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Simplex on Business band repeater frequencies

W5AMP

We are looking to get a business band license, for DMR on UHF. We don't need a repeater now, but we're trying to minimize costs to future-proof the system. If we get a repeater pair now, can we operate simplex on one of the frequencies, until such time as we get the repeater setup?

dickie757

Wired
Sure, but be cognizant of the buildout deadline. Just because you have the license, doesnt mean you just go on your happy way. While you are using the input, specifically because using the output would (probably) put you over your subscriber unit number listed on the license, you still have to tell FCC that either you are done with the buildout, or you need more time. I highly suggest using a coordinator to file that.

Thats my take. I might be wrong

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Get everything you can up front. Easier (and cheaper) than modifying the license later. Get a repeater pair, simplex channels to go with it, and as well, every emission type you might use at some point, i.e. DMR, P25, NXDN, analog, etc. It will cost you to modify the license afterward.

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
When we get a repeater pair (FB2, FB6, FB8), we also license simplex activity on the input and output as well (MO). TT

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
Get everything you can up front. Easier (and cheaper) than modifying the license later. Get a repeater pair, simplex channels to go with it, and as well, every emission type you might use at some point, i.e. DMR, P25, NXDN, analog, etc. It will cost you to modify the license afterward.
Some co-ordinators charge for extra emmission designators. We just went through this with one of our agencies. They wanted extra money for DMR and NXDN I believe. In the end we settled on NFM and P25. That said, you cant just license a repeater pair and decide you will put it up eventually. You have to meet build out deadlines and certify that the repeater is acutally on the air.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I think the buildout deadline is one year.

Consider the cost of tossing up a repeater to address the build out deadline versus the cost of coordinating simplex now and then adding the repeater to your license at a later time.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
Also consider the location and height have to be nailed down on the application.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Some co-ordinators charge for extra emmission designators. We just went through this with one of our agencies. They wanted extra money for DMR and NXDN I believe. In the end we settled on NFM and P25. That said, you cant just license a repeater pair and decide you will put it up eventually. You have to meet build out deadlines and certify that the repeater is acutally on the air.
No good one will charge for that. The ones that are trying to fleece the customers might.

jmfirefighter

Well we went through APCO, so I am not sure if they wouldnt qualify as a "good one"
APCO charges a minimum of $150 for a minor change, which is defined as "changes affecting existing licenses requiring administrative information, reducing technical parameters, changing/adding emission designators only (except for 854-862 MHz or TDMA-type systems, for example, 7K60FXE or 7K60FXD), increasing mobile units or control station units (with antennas under 6.1 meters) only, deleting frequencies and/or sites." "(Minor modifications are included at no additional charge when submitted as New Station/Major Modifications per fee schedule above.)"

ref: Frequency Coordination

I mean they aren't going to modify a license for free, the emission designators do change the station parameters and may require coordination (especially for VHF 7K TDMA emissions) with other users even on an existing frequency. At least they waive those fees when you're doing a major modification.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I think Echo4Thirty was not referring to making changes, but coordinating a -new- license. Radio Soft didn't charge me extra for 2 emission designators on a -new- coordination/license. Sounds like APCO does charge -per- emission designator on -new- licenses.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
Last time I licensed my last employer I tried using a local radio guy and he sent me a rambling email with some pricing. I requested a formal quote for our strict purchasing dept and he would not send one claiming his email was good enough, which it was not. I called another radio dealer who got it all done but they never billed me. I tried for over a year to get anything from them to pay including offering to put it on my company credit card. In the end I retired and they never got paid.

I would definitely seek out a company that specializes in licensing and not any local radio shops who dabble in it.

jmfirefighter

I think Echo4Thirty was not referring to making changes, but coordinating a -new- license. Radio Soft didn't charge me extra for 2 emission designators on a -new- coordination/license. Sounds like APCO does charge -per- emission designator on -new- licenses.
They don't. "Minor modifications are included at no additional charge when submitted as New Station/Major Modifications per fee schedule above." So in the case of a new license (station) or a major modifications adding emission designators would be no charge, unless it's for VHF or UHF TDMA or FB8/MO8 stations which requires additional engineering.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
If you don't license the pair initially there is no guarantee that the other frequency will be available in the future when you are ready to update the license and deploy a repeater.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
Right. License what you reasonably expect to need in the next few years. You'll start getting nagged about construction deadlines (whatever they are – the licensing company can tell you). Many use that as leverage to get budgeting to construct. Or put up a temporary installation. Or just say they did. (I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advice. Or even professional advice. Just what I've seen out there.) ;)

lenk911

You'll start getting nagged about construction deadlines
Its not some licensing company. Its lying to the FCC on federal documents. Not a good idea.

Construction deadlines were enacted to prevent resource hoarding and banking.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
You have to include what I wrote afterwards for context:
You'll start getting nagged about construction deadlines (whatever they are – the licensing company can tell you). Many use that as leverage to get budgeting to construct. Or put up a temporary installation. Or just say they did. (I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advice. Or even professional advice. Just what I've seen out there.) ;)
Yes, the professional/legal thing to do is to know what the deadlines are and use that to motivate approval for a budget to construct.