Site association question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ch40n1k

I have a question about my pro-96 and gre500

If an agency is able to associate and transmit with multiple sites (i.e. ADCOM with Lookout, Smoky Hill, Mt. Thor) if I'm deaf to one or more of those sites, will the traffic still be heard on other sites if the radio associates with the site I'm deaf to? Or better yet, can a radio associate and transmit to multiple sites at the same time?

So say a deputy associates with Thorodin, which I can't hear, but I can hear smoky hill and lookout, will I hear the traffic or not?

Might be a silly question, and maybe I should know better, either way it's a question that I don't have the answer to.

Thanks!

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Associations

Not a silly question (IMHO).

Jimn has said at one of the group gatherings that CSP is not allowed on the Smoky Hill site.

This suggests that there can be controls placed on who is and is not allowed to affiliate.

I'd like to hear an authoritative answer to the question because I have certain sites I listen to on my commute an I lock out some others that become marginal and I am assuming that I can hear what I need to hear on those fewer sites that I keep scanning.

ch40n1k

I guess I'm almost asking if the traffic is "simulcast" across sites that the agency is allowed to use. I know that sites can and do block agency traffic (Chevron blocks adams and jefferson counties).

I'm almost curious as to if comm centers will lock onto and transmit on whatever site the "deputy" is transmitting from.

Thanks again guys.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
I guess I'm almost asking if the traffic is "simulcast" across sites that the agency is allowed to use. I know that sites can and do block agency traffic (Chevron blocks adams and jefferson counties).

A TG will be simulcasted across any site that has that TG affiliated with it.

i.e. if a unit from Durango drives up here and turns on his radio to a Durango TG, the system will see this, and transmit any traffic assocated with that specific TG to what ever tower the Durango unit is affiliated with. Also, if he keys up his radio to talk, the units down in Durango will here him.

Here is some info about this in the Wiki:

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Motorola_Type_II_SmartZone

RodStrong

You will only hear traffic on a specific TG on a specific tower if there is someone out there with a radio that is affiliating that particular TG to that particular tower.

For example, you are listening to tower #1, TG #A. Meanwhile, there is a user on TG A affiliating with tower #2 talking to another user on tower #10. The only way you will be able to pick up their traffic on tower #1 is if someone else has a radio that is affiliated to tower #1, and also dialed up to TG A. If there is not someone else affiliating the same TG to tower #1, you will not hear any of their traffic.

ch40n1k

A TG will be simulcasted across any site that has that TG affiliated with it.

i.e. if a unit from Durango drives up here and turns on his radio to a Durango TG, the system will see this, and transmit any traffic assocated with that specific TG to what ever tower the Durango unit is affiliated with. Also, if he keys up his radio to talk, the units down in Durango will here him.

Here is some info about this in the Wiki:

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Motorola_Type_II_SmartZone

That is exactly the answer I was looking for. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.