BCD325P2/BCD996P2: SITE RANGE

jayzdarr74

Premium Subscriber
I'm sorry Sir I'm still a newbie at this but thank you for your help. This is sort of a fly by the seat of my pants thing haha.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
So will my BCD996p2 receive or is it out of range?
If the signal is strong enough, and especially if you have a good (preferably external/rooftop) antenna, you may hear it. The database ranges and ranges set in the scanner only determine whether of not that system is scanned. That has zero influence on whether or not you can hear it.

I often visit a friend who lives in a rural area about 100 miles west of me. Out there, I can hear certain counties that are 40 or 550 miles (or farther) away. Well over any database ranges.

But here at home, I can't hear a neighboring suburb that is 6 or 7 miles away. Their transmit antennas are mounted lower on the towers, and the signal patterns are focused on the city's area. If I'm in that city, no problem. But once I get a couple miles outside of it, nothing but crickets.

Last edited:

jayzdarr74

Premium Subscriber
If the signal is strong enough, and especially if you have a good (preferably external/rooftop) antenna, you may hear it. The database ranges and ranges set in the scanner only determine whether of not that system is scanned. That has zero influence on whether or not you can hear it.
No I'm in an apt complex and I'm just using a window antenna. Landlord would shoot me if I put anything on roof lol. What kind of external do
you recommend?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230430_003021[1].jpg
    Screenshot_20230430_003021[1].jpg
    34 KB · Views: 2

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
No I'm in an apt complex and I'm just using a window antenna. Landlord would shoot me if I put anything on roof lol
Don't write it off until you program it & see what happens. If you hear it, great. If not, well there's other things to listen to.

jayzdarr74

Premium Subscriber
Don't write it off until you program it & see what happens. If you hear it, great. If not, well there's other things to listen to.
Well, its programmed right believe so yes, I will just see what happens. I'm doing a slow build to see what I can hear one step at a time and disregarding what is not coming in. I have to go for my walk/run now. Thanks again for all the help :) Is it ok if I email you with any questions?
Mine is jasonzulicktechnical@outlook.com have a great night !

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Well, its programmed right believe so yes, I will just see what happens. I'm doing a slow build to see what I can hear one step at a time and disregarding what is not coming in. I have to go for my walk/run now. Thanks again for all the help :) Is it ok if I email you with any questions?
Mine is jasonzulicktechnical@outlook.com have a great night !
Just use the PM system on the site.
Click on the envelope on the right side of the top of the page. That takes you to a page to 'start a conversation', which is a message sent to another member. If you look at the envelope on your screen, and it has a number, like a "1", then there is a message waiting. Generally, when you start a 'conversation', it also notifies the recipient via an email sent to them, advising that there is a message to be viewed.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
So, what do the 2 circles mean when i click on map systems? Is the bigger one the jail?
It could be 2 sites or a site and a group. Clicking the tower on each brings up an info box that will show the info. May want to drag one of the towers away so you know which one you're clicking on.

If you just want the site towers to show then uncheck the option 'Map Groups...' then redraw.

Last edited:

jayzdarr74

Premium Subscriber
It could be 2 sites or a site and a group. Clicking the tower on each brings up an info box that will show the info. May want to drag one of the towers away so you know which one you're clicking on.

If you just want the site towers to show then uncheck the option 'Map Groups...' then redraw.
I really don't understand why I am able to move the towers. That makes no sense to me. They are not mobile. I programmed all 4 Motorola TRBO systems into my BCD996p2 and nothing is coming through when clearly I'm in the coverage area. So frustrating. I just purchased the DMR/Motorola TRBO upgrade and nothing. Ty for your reply

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I really don't understand why I am able to move the towers. That makes no sense to me. They are not mobile. I programmed all 4 Motorola TRBO systems into my BCD996p2 and nothing is coming through when clearly I'm in the coverage area. So frustrating. I just purchased the DMR/Motorola TRBO upgrade and nothing. Ty for your reply
I meant just so it would be easier to know which one is clicked. They are almost together and it may be difficult to click on one when the other is actually clicked. Just don't click the 'Update Node' button so it won't be permanent.

jayzdarr74

Premium Subscriber
I meant just so it would be easier to know which one is clicked. They are almost together and it may be difficult to click on one when the other is actually clicked. Just don't click the 'Update Node' button so it won't be permanent.
All 3 for the wellspan in zip code search for 17236 has 3 towers overlapping. I'm not understanding why clicking on them is going to matter. I imported all information from RR into my database in Proscan. I did not click on any ranges.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
All 3 for the wellspan in zip code search for 17236 has 3 towers overlapping. I'm not understanding why clicking on them is going to matter. I imported all information from RR into my database in Proscan. I did not click on any ranges.

So, what do the 2 circles mean when i click on map systems? Is the bigger one the jail?
Clicking the tower will show you which one is the jail

phask

Premium Subscriber
Not even sure what you are trying to do. The 996 has no range setting in the radio. What you receive is what you receive.