• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Site Trunking

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctordave

Anyone (perhaps David will see this) have insight as to what actually happens when site trunking is enabled? I'd selected that for the Baltimore County MD 800 P1 system and was getting less-than-ideal system reception range....but that corrected, once I viewed David's webinar and subsequently de-selected site trunking. Just curious what the radio is actually doing differently when the radio is site trunking - and when that might actually be an advantage.

Loving this radio so far, here in the land of LSM.

Dave

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Site trunking is when a site or sites in a trunked system become isolated from the system controller (usually because whatever is connecting the site to the network - fiber, copper, satellite, microwave, etc - goes down, or is deliberately shut down). They're still operational as individual sites, but cannot communicate with the rest of the network. So if for example unit A is on site 1 and unit B is on site 2, and site 1 goes into site trunking, the trunk system and even the talkgroups the users are on will still appear to be functioning, but unit A and unit B won't hear one another.

How this applies to a one-way pager receiver is something I'm not able to answer. Perhaps "de-selecting site trunking" means that the receiver will not monitor a site that is in site trunking mode.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
I've always understood "Site Trunking" on the G4/5 PPS to mean that you can program multiple controllers which correspond to different sites within a system, and the device will choose the site that has the best reception and lock on to it.

b1100mac

Premium Member
Premium Subscriber
I posed the very same question to Unication, "what does checking this box do", and I was told that in their testing they found it actually had no change in the way the radio operated. The radio will lock on the strongest control channel regardless of this setting. And remember when the radio loses signal on the site you are closest to at the time, it has to cycle through the "out of range" mode and come back up "in range" with the new (closer) site. I actually went into the software and changed my "out of range" time cycle to 5 seconds, so it switches faster.

Last edited:

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
In a perfect world you'd be able to choose whether or not your radio stays on a site that is in site trunking so you won't miss any calls/pages/whatever that may come from a wireline console or from other units on a wide-area site.

I'd imagine that was the intent of this checkbox, but I don't know.

doctordave

Very interesting. Thanks for the replies. Not sure why my results were so different after de-selecting site trunking. Perhaps David from Unication will toss in some thoughts on this curiosity. Test travel from Baltimore City to Northern Baltimore County (monitoring the City and County P1 systems) today yielded superb results. Very happy with this radio.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
I would have also assumed site trunking referred to a disconnected site...meaning if the pager detects the site is isolated (lost backhaul), it will look for another site in range that has connectivity.

tdeater

The site trunking mode tells the pager if it can or can not use a tower site that is in site trunking error mode. It will not make any differences otherwise.

cpetraglia

I have noted someone say "if you check the box". I have searched my PPS many times for the Site Trunking box and just don't see it. I have looked through every section carefully. Would someone mind pointing me in the right direction. Using 0.3.5 Beta1 with my G4.
Thanks

David_Oney

Former Unication Tech Support
Premium Subscriber
Site trunking is when a site become isolated from the trunking system. Awhile ago the engineers made site trunking ALWAYS ON and therefore made that checkbox obsolete so it will be removed in a future release The behavior of the G4/G5 is when it receives a site trunking signal it looks for an adjacent site that is not reporting site trunking and if it finds one it locks on to it. If it does not find a site it will display a red banner that says SITE TRUNKING and the unit will monitor the traffic on that site.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
When Fort Lauderdale's system was in testing mode the "site trunking" in red appeared on the G5. Once they connected to Broward's core, it went away. So what Dave said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
If you look at the picture, the typical 'T' shown with the signal bars changes to a 'S'

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
In a perfect world you'd be able to choose whether or not your radio stays on a site that is in site trunking so you won't miss any calls/pages/whatever that may come from a wireline console or from other units on a wide-area site.

I'd imagine that was the intent of this checkbox, but I don't know.

Ditto, that's my thought. Commercial radios naturally want to be in wide area mode, so if a site goes into Site Trunking the radio will start looking for a site that isn't and lock onto it instead. My guess would be the checkbox in the Unication tells the scanner to ignore a site that's in site trunking.

Status
Not open for further replies.