SDS100/SDS200: Sites you aren't near. Remove from Favorites, or avoid?

cshustak

When I add a P25 group to my scanner, it adds a whole bunch of sites that are all over my state. A posting suggested removing any that are not close to you to speed up scanning.

Should I remove the sites from the favorites list, or just tag them with an avoid? I'm assuming that an "avoid" is like locking those sites out from scanning.

Thanks

cshustak

I did set quick keys for each favorite list, but have not actually used them yet. Are they a quick way to go to the scan selections menu to turn on what favorites you want to scan?

hazrat8990

Premium Subscriber
Either way you choose will not have any affect on scanning speed at all. If you are using location control, the scanner doesn't even bother to look for sites that are outside of the selected range so they are automatically avoided. If you wish to tidy up your favorites, you could delete them entirely with no ill effects.

cshustak

SDS 200. I've been programming it manually, as opposed to doing location stuff. And turned off scanning the whole database.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Set your zipcode.
Set your Range - Miles.
In the scanner, make a new favorites list.
Then in that menu list,
Turn on "Location Control"
Use "Add Current dB Channels"

This will make it not scan all of the entire state towers.

Then in the main menu, "Set Scan Selection"
Select Lists to Monitor
Turn on your new Favorites list

Last edited:

a727469

Premium Subscriber
If using location control, good advice..however if you decide down the line to do separate favorites lists, I suggest you put everything in lists separated by counties or whatever other types of jurisdictions you have, or any other set up that is convenient. That is what makes favorites so useful. Never say never when it comes to going out of your local area and then you can switch easily. This would also let you have better control over talk groups, filters etc even for local use. I try to avoid using avoid! Lists are much easier once they are set up.

Brales60

Premium Subscriber
Not a fan of the quick keys at all, but that's me. I just set what I want to listen to in services. Never do the school buses, the drivers will drive you crazy.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
SDS 200. I've been programming it manually, as opposed to doing location stuff. And turned off scanning the whole database.

Why?? ("programming it manually").
Sure, it is not in the RR database, or if it is wrong, go for it.
But, if it is in the RR database, load your favorites from Sentinel (or ProScan) and then do your 'clean up' edits.

Location control - one of the best features of these radios.
And... you CAN put in lat/long/radius/(rectangles) manually, if you insist to use the hard way...

Last edited:

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
If using location control, good advice..however if you decide down the line to do separate favorites lists, I suggest you put everything in lists separated by counties or whatever other types of jurisdictions you have, or any other set up that is convenient. That is what makes favorites so useful. Never say never when it comes to going out of your local area and then you can switch easily. This would also let you have better control over talk groups, filters etc even for local use. I try to avoid using avoid! Lists are much easier once they are set up.

I am a true location control believer.
All of my favorites are geographic, so the radio just switches FLs automatically as you cross borders/city limits.

phask

Premium Subscriber
When I add a P25 group to my scanner, it adds a whole bunch of sites that are all over my state. A posting suggested removing any that are not close to you to speed up scanning.

Should I remove the sites from the favorites list, or just tag them with an avoid? I'm assuming that an "avoid" is like locking those sites out from scanning.

Thanks
I have my at home, local only, never use it mobile fav. list for the huge statewide MARCS system set with only 6 sites. I usually only have 2 on. They all have quick keys.
I load all my neighboring counties, but they have QK and are OFF.

Now mobile is an entirely different creature. I run GPS.

FWIW - from my QTH if I load the entire system and set range to zero it will load 20 or so sites. Only 6 or 7 can normally be received.

a727469

Premium Subscriber
I think what this all shows is not one way is right and works for everyone. We each have unique situations that fortunately are adaptable to both location and favorites usage. While terrific, these large number of options does make it more difficult for someone new to the hobby.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Agree with using "Location Control On" in the Favorites List. If you go outside of your local area, all you need to do is change the zip code for the new area.

This is less fuss and muss than the other two options (Avoid and Delete). It also reduces the risk of avoiding/deleting a site inadvertently and wonder why this thing ain't working.

W6KRU

Premium Subscriber
I use quick keys to control FLs/Systems/Depts./Sites. I started using quick keys with the x96 scanners and can't unlearn it.

cshustak

Agree with using "Location Control On" in the Favorites List. If you go outside of your local area, all you need to do is change the zip code for the new area.

This is less fuss and muss than the other two options (Avoid and Delete). It also reduces the risk of avoiding/deleting a site inadvertently and wonder why this thing ain't working.
So turning location on will have the scanner automatically ignore sites that aren't near you? What constitutes near?

cshustak

Sorry. Saw the above posts. You set a range, and that controls location distance.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Sorry. Saw the above posts. You set a range, and that controls location distance.
Yes. If you don't have a GPS attached to the SDS200, use zip code. That's almost as good. And set a reasonable range.. 15 miles should work.

Each site has a site-range allocated to it. Using zip code the radio automatically sets your location to the middle of that zip code.

The the radio takes the site's location and adds the range you set (15 miles or whatever you set) plus the site's range (say 30 miles)... In this case.. 45 miles and if the center of your zip code is within 45 miles, it will scan the site. If the site is 46 miles or more away, the scanner won't even try to receive that site.

Doing all that is part of the initial load to the scanner right after you turn it on. Once everything is loaded, the scanner will not even try anything outside that 45 mile range.

If you have the SDS in a vehicle and have GPS attached and using GPS control, every so often it will redo that initial load.

Obviously, you need the correct service types set.

cshustak

I set a 5 mile radius, and keyed in my zip code. Where do I turn this on? Despite 5 miles, it's scanning all the way down to the Cape.