Skip affects MARCS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpdkop21

Last saturday evening about 7:00, my portable was showing the Fremont tower, with an RSSI of 66. I found this odd, because the Lima tower gives us 40-50 RSSI on a good day. Considering Bluffton is about 50 miles from Fremont and 14 miles ffrom Lima, I never suspected I would see a tower that far away. Also, taking into account that Fremont is roughly 180 feet lower in elevation than Bluffton, this added to the mystery. So I asked W.D. (the local guru) and he thought tropospheric ducting was most likely the cause. I know that MARCS is still just a radio system (albeit a bit more complex), but I just figured that due to the short wavelength, it would be less prone to skip. The only problem I can foresee is that, during certain conditions, our radio traffic (northeastern Allen County) could tie up the channels of a larger agency, one that is located a fair distance away, like Fremont.

bpdkop21

Ok mister fancy pants. Just kidding! I always thought that they were closely related, as such I do forget that they are two different atmospheric conditions. Thanks for the slap to the head and by all means, feel free to correct me in the future.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Tropo is very nice. That's how I've managed to confirm so much data for Eastern/NE Ohio out towards Cambridge. I specifically wait til late evening/early morning and check the conditions. Usually, at night, as its cooling down after a hot day, or if you find it to be a little foggy and strinky out from humidity, you stand a better chance of noticing some enhanced propogation.

I've heard and monitored effectively (as well as logged with a trunker program) over 40 MARCS sites directly from my location, when on a typical day I can only monitor about 11 of them. So, about 75% of them have been heard during enhanced propogation.

Same experience with the AEP Networked EDACS system.

It's good listening!

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.