Skip Question

Thatsclear

Premium Subscriber
I have noticed lately more skip coming in since we're entering the summer months. My question is; I usually only get good skip on either low and or VHF high band. It doesn't seem to be as good on the UHF or higher bands. Does anyone know why this is? Thanks so much.

marvinsuggs

Premium Subscriber
I have noticed lately more skip coming in since we're entering the summer months. My question is; I usually only get good skip on either low and or VHF high band. It doesn't seem to be as good on the UHF or higher bands. Does anyone know why this is? Thanks so much.
UHF and VHF HI skip is caused by ducting, where warm air is trapped under cold air causing a temperature inversion. VHF LO skip is caused by the ionization of the E-layer of the atmosphere, caused by sun spots.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
In the most basic of terms, I'm sure somebody will elaborate, radio signals bounce off a layer of the atmosphere called the ionosphere which is electronically charged from the Sun. They then bounce off the ground and bounce up to the ionosphere again and travel long distances as they skip along.

The sun has been minimized for a long time but we have entered solar cycle 25 and the ionosphere is more electronically charged by sunspot activity. You will find skip mostly on 11 m which is CB radio around 27 MHz or 10 m which is a ham band around 29 MHz.

You are most likely to encounter skip propagation on VHF low band than VHF high band or UHF which is very well explained above as tropospheric ducting.

That's about as basic as I can explain it but it is a very detailed scientific phenomena.

Last edited:

Mophead

Premium Subscriber
Is your Avatar a 148GTL in pink ? Lol, never saw that one! Perfect for my old lady's golf cart.