• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Small, Compact, Micro CB with removable power plug?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Due to serious space/mounting limitations for a CB radio in my 2019 Ford Edge, I'm looking for a good quality CB that is small in size. SSB is not required. Removable/un-plugable 12V power leads is important. Any recommendations? Most seen to have the power leads hardwired in.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
What about one of those models that everything is contained in the microphone (channel selector, volume, squelch, speaker, mic element, etc.)? You can unplug the device and take it with you. The "guts" either go in the cargo compartment or under the seat.

I'm not overly familiar with them, so hopefully, one of the other participants on this forum can make a suggestion?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
What about one of those models that everything is contained in the microphone (channel selector, volume, squelch, speaker, mic element, etc.)? You can unplug the device and take it with you. The "guts" either go in the cargo compartment or under the seat.

I'm not overly familiar with them, so hopefully, one of the other participants on this forum can make a suggestion?

I've considered those but I don't want to obtain power from a cigarette lighter socket. I want to hard wire the power leads to the car but have a removable plug on the back of the CB, If need be I can wire one in-line but I'd prefer it to be on the back of the radio.

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber
I use this Uniden with the President New York antenna and it works very well. Radio is mounted under the seat and all controls are from the mic, including the speaker. Power comes from the cigarette lighter plug. Great for limited space.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I have one of those. It's a Cobra. I rarely use it but the few time I did, it worked just fine.

Check here: Cobra 75 WX ST

That's the Cobra website and you might find a better price elsewhere.

Edit: Some folks are quicker than I am. They got in ahead of me.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Due to serious space/mounting limitations for a CB radio in my 2019 Ford Edge, I'm looking for a good quality CB that is small in size. SSB is not required. Removable/un-plugable 12V power leads is important. Any recommendations? Most seen to have the power leads hardwired in.
How small of a space are you looking at? There are some rather small, bare bones options. If nothing else, the handheld models, that have a small interface unit hardwired to power and antenna.

n0xvz

Premium Subscriber
I have a Midland 75-822 portable/mobile CB that might meet your needs. I like that I can use it as a handheld too.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I have a Midland 75-822 portable/mobile CB that might meet your needs. I like that I can use it as a handheld too.

1610752919664.png

I admit I like the versatility of those but I'd be concerned it might overhead with prolonged use.

The Uniden CMX760 is nice that the actual transceiver is remote from the microphone and the controls are much easier to read.

1610753145675.png

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I'm considering this one even though the power leads are hard wired:

1610753754439.png

More info:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
How small of a space are you looking at? There are some rather small, bare bones options. If nothing else, the handheld models, that have a small interface unit hardwired to power and antenna.

Possible mounting options would be under the seat, between the seat and the center console, under the steering wheel.

WB9YBM

A trick I found in mounting a CB was the space on the dash in front of the gear shift--I guess it's intended to hold things like gloves--I used a saw to remove the rear plastic "wall" (being careful to not hit any wires/etc. behind it). With that back wall removed there was then enough room to mount a CB...

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The Uniden CMX760 is nice that the actual transceiver is remote from the microphone and the controls are much easier to read.

View attachment 97106

I have the CMX-560, the little brother of this one. The RF deck portion is about the size of a paper back book, so easy to tuck away. You can permanently wire it, like you should, and just leave it in place.

The microphone connects via a standard RJ-45 plug, so you could install a short patch cable and a socket some where out of the way. Plug the microphone in when you need it, unplug it and put it away when you don't.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
A trick I found in mounting a CB was the space on the dash in front of the gear shift--I guess it's intended to hold things like gloves--I used a saw to remove the rear plastic "wall" (being careful to not hit any wires/etc. behind it). With that back wall removed there was then enough room to mount a CB...

Normally I'd agree but this SUV had a wireless phone charging pad built in that space along with a USB port and a cigarette lighter socket.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I have the CMX-560, the little brother of this one. The RF deck portion is about the size of a paper back book, so easy to tuck away. You can permanently wire it, like you should, and just leave it in place.

The microphone connects via a standard RJ-45 plug, so you could install a short patch cable and a socket some where out of the way. Plug the microphone in when you need it, unplug it and put it away when you don't.

Yes something like that should work. Removing just the mic wold be good enough when necessary.

DaveC1964

I'm considering this one even though the power leads are hard wired:

View attachment 97107

More info:
You could always make a connector with a male/female plug set then solder the plug to the CB wires, and the socket part to the car wires (socket so that conductors are not exposed while radio removed). Just make sure it can handle the amp rating of the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.