SMART Buses

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Have SMART buses moved to MPSCS yet? I also heard rumor they could be going with DMR instead due to it being cheaper.

marcp90

Premium Subscriber
I hope they go DMR. I hate it how they let transit systems on the MPSCS. They never shut up and I find myself having to lock them out all the time.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I agree. Buses are not public safety. Their system could have a patch, for the times a bus is needed for a scene.

Sent via Tapatalk

SCPD

QRT
Smart

If I'm not mistaken, Smart is up in the 900's, and they hardly say a word. It's mostly data, if anything.
Could be wrong, been a couple years since I tried listening to them.

ngreed

They do still have their 900mhz system, which does not have that much activity on it. Every now and again you hear a call for a shuttle bus pickup at an address.

RayAir

They are not going to join the MPSCS. There was talk of it being an option. Consumer's Energy also entertained the thought.

They would have to add towers in Oakland County and the state would want control over the assigned frequencies.

Consumer's is stuck and SMART could possibly go digital LTR.

SCPD

QRT
Need to move?

... SMART could possibly go digital LTR.

Is there a reason SMART needs to go to some sort of digital system?
It's not something I want to listen to either way.
But I just curious. They got a system already that appears to do what it needs to do.

RayAir

Is the old SMART Motorola system still supported?
Sure, if it works for them, keep it.

Consumers Energy is looking at OpenSky or a "CDMA" based system with high data rates. That is according to a CE spokesman.

Not sure what SMART will do, but its not me saying their radio system is antiquated, they said it themselves.

RayAir

Two days of monitoring the system, not a peep. Anyone have an update?

I found a talk group on the ComSource DMR system that was some kind of bus or shuttle service but after further listening it just services the area around WSU, the M-10 and Greektown.

Since they mention frequent stops at the Howard parking lot and WSU campus and engineering building I determined this to be a shuttle service dedicated to the WSU campus area.

I'll check for other talk groups to see if they are possibly used by SMART. I've never heard them on the MPSCS, but I guess it is possible.

I would guess the ComSource system would be an ideal system to migrate to, I'll do some checking.

Status
Not open for further replies.