smart light technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc9cra

There are new street lights out there that are supposed to be able to sense gunshots and take photos/video. I wonder, does anyone have any technical knollege about these lights? Do they simply record, or do they transmit. Even if it might just be a data noise, I'd like to know frequencies. Simply hearing data tells me that the light transmitted tells me that something happenedld be interesting to see if there's any info available.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Street lights? Are you talking about those things in New York city that have lights and sound hearing equipment?

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
I think they have to transmit somehow to get the video and/or sound to the station,or maybe it goes through the wires on the telephone poles.If they do transmit by antenna I would guess the signal would most likely be encrypted.

Last edited:

W2PMX

In NYC (this probably won't apply anywhere else), almost all intersections are wired to a central point. (Almost all traffic lights in NYC are computer controlled.) So it would be no big problem for them to wire streetlights up to that network. Also, NYC had a 450MHz radio network way back in the late 60s (for the traffic lights, before they went to wire), so it would be no problem for them to resurrect that system, maybe on a much higher frequency. (which would make the system so directional that unless you could look down the front of the antenna, you wouldn't hear a thing.)

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
Covert Camera
The RoboLUM from RoboVu LLC
is a covert, streetlight camera that translates video over a variety of networks. The IP solution has the same look and feel as a normal streetlight and even the individual that installs the RoboLUM won’t know that a 360° camera has replaced the photocell on top.

“Good disguise,” says one reviewer. “The RoboLUM offers valuable remote control for a smooth, 360° lateral control and zoom.”

“The demonstration of this product on the show floor was impressive,” says another reviewer. “The company reports the camera is resistant to dust, wind, rain and snow and provides a 30°-angled view. The largest problem so far— the camera view being obscured by bird poop. I like that the cameras can be added to existing street lights to save cost for local municipalities.”
http://www.robovu.com/
http://www.robovu.com/images/RoboSPY.pdf (PDF page 2)

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
Status
Not open for further replies.