Pro-2006: So it's come to this....

Status
Not open for further replies.

PACNWDude

Wow, different backlight colors really changes the look of those older scanners. May have to do this to the Pro-2032 sitting nearby with the dimming "lime green" backlight. Thank you for sharing....the entire Pro series would look good with newer backlights. I never got into too many Bill Cheek mods though, I only made one mod to my PRO-2006's and that was for cellular phone use ;)

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I find that my BC125AT gets better reception than my Pro 2005 when running side by side. And the 125 has alpha display and computer programming. In its day the 2005 was a workhorse but time and technology has passed it buy except the sound quality of the 2005 is unbeatable.

The 2005 is old enough that it probably needs alignment. If you have access to the Bill Cheek books, he gave fairly simple alignment instructions in one of them (I think Volume 1 but don't recall offhand), which require only a multimeter and a few simple tools, and uses the closest NWS transmitter as a signal source. I used that method successfully a number of times and it does make a difference.

Of course now I've got signal generators and service monitors and all the other doodads needed to do it the official way, but I never really noticed a major difference between doing it the official way and doing it the Bill Cheek way when it came right down to it.

krokus

Premium Subscriber

JustLou

I find that my BC125AT gets better reception than my Pro 2005 when running side by side. And the 125 has alpha display and computer programming. In its day the 2005 was a workhorse but time and technology has passed it buy except the sound quality of the 2005 is unbeatable.

The BC125AT is a great little radio. Mine gets a lot of use here in NYC where for the time being the PD and FD still use analog UHF. I have a 4" antenna on it and take it with me all the time.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
The BC125AT is a great little radio. Mine gets a lot of use here in NYC where for the time being the PD and FD still use analog UHF. I have a 4" antenna on it and take it with me all the time.
I love my 125AT. Great scanner. Used it so much the pad started to wear out. LOL

Manny

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Well, it was bound to happen. I left the cover off while I soldered something, and my cat chewed up the connector on the speaker cable. Bit it right off. I can still salvage the cable. Does anyone know what type of connector it is or what it's called? If I can't find one to replace it, I will have to find another way to connect the speaker cable to the board.

Manny

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Well, it was bound to happen. I left the cover off while I soldered something, and my cat chewed up the connector on the speaker cable. Bit it right off. I can still salvage the cable. Does anyone know what type of connector it is or what it's called? If I can't find one to replace it, I will have to find another way to connect the speaker cable to the board.

Manny
The Tape Out and Signal jacks are RCA, the Tap and External Speaker are 1/8th inch (also called 3.5 mm) jacks.

kruser

Premium Subscriber

Manny

I think an older type internal computer case fan power connector may work. The kind that had three terminals where the center contact was used for speed sense tachometer feedback to the motherboard. I'm talking about the fans that plugged into the three terminal headers on the motherboard.
Not sure of the name but they were very common for case and old cpu fan connectors. Today, they are usually four pin but three pin models are still easily found.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
The Tape Out and Signal jacks are RCA, the Tap and External Speaker are 1/8th inch (also called 3.5 mm) jacks.
LOL I guess you misunderstood me. I am referring to the connector on the inside which is on the pc board. The one that connects the internal speaker wire to the board.

I think an older type internal computer case fan power connector may work. The kind that had three terminals where the center contact was used for speed sense tachometer feedback to the motherboard. I'm talking about the fans that plugged into the three terminal headers on the motherboard.
Not sure of the name but they were very common for case and old cpu fan connectors. Today, they are usually four pin but three pin models are still easily found.
Thanks, I will look into that.

Manny

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, I will look into that.

Manny

If you have an old computer power supply laying around, check the small power connector that plugged into 3.5 inch floppy drives.
It was a four wire connector but two of the sockets may have the spacing you need and I think the connector on the 2006 main board had enough room around it on at least one side where a wider connector may work when it is shifted left or right a notch.

On another note, my cats used to steal and hide my parts I left out at night while doing repairs! I finally caught one of them at my bench grabbing a part in its mouth and running away with it late one night.
Now I must cover whatever I'm working on while I'm away otherwise they will surely steal something!

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
If you have an old computer power supply laying around, check the small power connector that plugged into 3.5 inch floppy drives.
It was a four wire connector but two of the sockets may have the spacing you need and I think the connector on the 2006 main board had enough room around it on at least one side where a wider connector may work when it is shifted left or right a notch.

On another note, my cats used to steal and hide my parts I left out at night while doing repairs! I finally caught one of them at my bench grabbing a part in its mouth and running away with it late one night.
Now I must cover whatever I'm working on while I'm away otherwise they will surely steal something!

OMG that's funny Kruser! This boy is a kitten of 13 weeks so he gets into EVERYTHING. As far as having an old computer, I think I have a few in the basement. Unfortunately, the 2006 connector is very small and does NOT have any room on the sides for a 3 or 4 hole connector. I'm gonna have to get creative on this one. Thanks for the input and the cat story. LOL

Manny

Ubbe

If everything else fails then take a cable with an external speaker connector on it and solder to the speaker and route out to the speaker jack at the back.

/Ubbe

Arkmood

Thanks for the info. I have never dealt with this type of connector before. I see they come in 1.25 and 2.0. I assume that refers to the size of the connector?

Manny

Image shows Pro 2006 connector (closest to speaker) alongside Desktop Dell PC fan connector...2006cn7a.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.