Solar Eclipse

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Those folks who decide to look at the sun, however much hidden it might be, will automatically be nominated for a Darwin Award.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
Those folks who decide to look at the sun, however much hidden it might be, will automatically be nominated for a Darwin Award.
I don't know, the Darwin award is for really exceptional acts. Looking at the sun during an eclipse really isn't that exceptional....

I think for safety more for children that are so young that they can't look away. The special needs kids on buses that can barely turn their heads, and those in baby carriages (which is why they have covers to protect little heads). The guardians may or may not be sharp enough to protect them.

Thanks
Joel

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I don't know, the Darwin award is for really exceptional acts. Looking at the sun during an eclipse really isn't that exceptional....

I think for safety more for children that are so young that they can't look away. The special needs kids on buses that can barely turn their heads, and those in baby carriages (which is why they have covers to protect little heads). The guardians may or may not be sharp enough to protect them.

Thanks
Joel
C'mon, now. You're taking it seriously. Actually, the Darwin Awards live only on the Internet. They don't even really exist.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
C'mon, now. You're taking it seriously. Actually, the Darwin Awards live only on the Internet. They don't even really exist.
It's a thing to think about, I admit it's not nice to make fun of foolishness or death or anything.

I liked reading about the earlier ones, especially the Russian nuke power plant guy.

Staring at the sun doesn't come close to that level.

Thanks
Joel

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
I wonder how many accidents will happen due to people driving with their eclipse glasses on? You know it will happen.
This.

Because of the inevitability of situations equal to or similar to that, combined with the amazing inability of probably about 75% of drivers in New England sucking at driving in the first place, or concluding that it is in fact a secondary task behind texting, teasing one's hair, applying makeup, shaving, gawking, or otherwise not paying attention in general, my wife and I decided to stay local and see about 90% of it anyway.

Good luck out there and do post your experiences if you survive them...but preferably not while driving.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Good luck out there and do post your experiences if you survive them...but preferably not while driving.
Even though I will only have 94.1% darkness I'm prepared. We stocked up on water, toilet paper and bread yesterday. I was surprised I had no problems finding all this in the grocery store. :unsure:

Ensnared

Even though I will only have 94.1% darkness I'm prepared. We stocked up on water, toilet paper and bread yesterday. I was surprised I had no problems finding all this in the grocery store. :unsure:
I am laughing here in Waco. It looks like the clouds will be obscuring the sky here. Waco PD seems to have their act together. At present, nothing really epic has occurred on the radio. Earlier, Waco PD was dealing with a "Schizoaffective" woman with paranoid delusions. She was toting a baseball bat covered in black tape.

Ensnared

Well, it has come & gone. At the very last minute, I actually walked outside & observed the total eclipse. It was amazing & a bit surreal.

I have to hand it to McLennan County first responders because they had their act together, big time.

In fact, it was nearly as boring as Baylor football home game. Here is some information many may not believe.

Did you know that Waco PD utilizes drones to spot those who want a little nip at sporting events?

We were prepared with a bomb squad, aviation, marine, etc.

Oh well, I feel much better knowing that they sky did not fall.

Thanks to all who responded to this thread. I suppose this thread can be closed soon.

kv5e

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
Much darker than 2017, visible prominences extending up into to the inner corona. Had to battle clouds and decided to spend it with family and friends who were all first timers to totality up in Lucas, TX. Millions of pictures out there so I will not waste bandwidth posting one now.

Many new umbra-philes were matriculated yesterday. Hope it is always clear skies and clean glass for them in the future.

riverradio68

Feed Provider
Media over hype/over kill. WOW Did Television media get it so wrong! It was pretty epic in the Crime Free country! And when it was over everyone left without running John Deer tractors off the road. Getting eaten by giant, radiated copperheads or getting chased by Sasquatch. Personally, I was looking forward to the thunder hail the size of boulders ... that would have been kinda cool! Maybe in 2044 or 2077 Aliens will fly out of the clouds ... Oh, fwiw. 3 lens iPhone's don't do well with solar glasses but Motorola 2023 razr flips do remarkably well.

kv5e

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
Wonder if BearCom will get paid for the radio rentals for the Burnet Eclipse Festival? Heard all kinds of online complaints about their execution of promised amenities for the cancelled event.

I don't think it was profitable in any event with the partial refunds they had to give out.

brcoz

Premium Subscriber
I did not see much traffic on my way to Georgetown and then to Brady to view the eclipse. I stopped at two other locations before going to Brady. The the drive to Fort Stockton for a night then to Arizona. I did get to see the eclipse. The people I talked to in the stores and where we ate were nice. Not much traffic on my scanner where I was.

Attachments

• snap21307.jpg
    snap21307.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 6
  • snap21304.jpg
    snap21304.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 6

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Wonder if BearCom will get paid for the radio rentals for the Burnet Eclipse Festival? Heard all kinds of online complaints about their execution of promised amenities for the cancelled event.

I don't think it was profitable in any event with the partial refunds they had to give out.

With the hail that rolled in Tuesday morning...the event will likely be able to take advantage of weather related insurance policies.

Blueliner

It was a 96% of totality here, and was pretty neat using the carboard glasses with the correct shading lens.

Didn't notice any unusual effects on me though. Wife took a pic of me on the deck watching.
1713035473229.png