Solon Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

KWs

Premium Subscriber
Looks like Solon Fire changed their apparatus numbering system, units now have a 6 prefix... Engine 61, 62, 63 etc . I'm guessing since Chagrin Valley dispatches for them, they meeded to differentiate from Chagrin Fire vehicle numbering.

Swipesy

Looks like Solon Fire changed their apparatus numbering system, units now have a 6 prefix... Engine 61, 62, 63 etc . I'm guessing since Chagrin Valley dispatches for them, they meeded to differentiate from Chagrin Fire vehicle numbering.

You have guessed correctly. Station 1 Units are numbered 61, Station 2 Units are number 62 and 64 and Station 3 Units are numbered 63. Station 1 also has cars 60, 61,64, 65, 66 and Station 2 has car 62. The reason for the change is as you stated to help dispatcher at CVD to distinguish between Solon and Chagrin.

Last edited:

KWs

Premium Subscriber
Cuyahoga County Fire must not have a master template for unit numbering ?
Some Depts use alpha/numeric , some use 2 digit, some use 3 digit and some 4 digit.
Now that Solon has gone 6x numbering, it matches Rocky River.
I'm guessing they will never respond together, but still seems odd.

Swipesy

I guess my logical accounting/finance mind does not work when it comes to anything government related but it would seem if the dispatcher and unit users would just say Chagrin Engine 1 or Solon Engine 1 problem solved. But then again I am sure government has a reason, logical or not for using their method.

SCPD

QRT
I guess my logical accounting/finance mind does not work when it comes to anything government related but it would seem if the dispatcher and unit users would just say Chagrin Engine 1 or Solon Engine 1 problem solved. But then again I am sure government has a reason, logical or not for using their method.

A lot of places do do that. Oh well......

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin

There is a logical reason. Several, in fact. . .

Most CAD systems these days are looking for a unique number to identify the apparatus. It's faster and much more efficient to type "E61" instead of "Chagrin Engine 1."

In addition, emergency scenes get to be pretty confusing when there are three units on scene all called "Engine 1." Lots easier to say "Engine 61 to Engine 51" instead of "Chagrin Engine 1 to Solon Engine 1," especially if the burning building is about to collapse around you and you need water.

Status
Not open for further replies.