Something old, something new

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stecomp

Initially this old homemade bookcase was going to be just for some of my old timer crystal scanners-basically a neat light show. It's evolved a bit to a part active listening post and part museum. Top half is the action and the bottom half is enjoying retirement but are occasionally fired up for the scan show. The G4 and SDS100 are generally on the move- downstairs with a 436 or as my go to mobile units.

Bookcase on other side of desk has more vintage guys with the Pro 2006 the only one hooked up and used for active monitoring, mainly rail and air. I have various speakers placed left or right or below, either bluetooth type or traditional Uniden speakers for monitoring some of the scanners. Helps to immediately know which agency is talking by the direction its coming from.

Have 2 discones in the attic that feed 3 of the scanners. The front originally had a nice MDF board cut out for the scanners but after changing things around in the past decided to cover it up with present foam board cutout.
Had to patiently wait a month plus for the SDS200 to return from Uniden for hum repair to complete the basically
$0 shack. By the way, I can hear the 200 just fine from behind the cover with just internal speaker and now no hum!

In rack - bct15x SDS200 996p2 Bearcat BCH (the original from 1968-cant even lock out channels) Robyn 8+8 RS pro77 Regency ACT E 8H Bearcat 3 & 4. Other rack - Realistic PRO 2006 Regency MX4000 Regency ACT 10 Regency ACT M 8H Uniden 800xlt. know, I know, not a very manly desk!

20190314_110249-2.jpg20190316_160326-2.jpg20190316_161748-2.jpg

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
I've had several of the scanners in the past currently in your display. Nice layout! At one point, I have three Robyn scanners, and a Robyn CB. Other thing besides not really being very sensitive, was the loud squelch-tail crash when units unkeyed. Every one of my Robyn's had this issue. Plus they were very susceptible to overload and intermod.

Stecomp

Thanks, I agree about the Robyn squelch noise. I heard it wasn't a highly regarded scanner but picked it up for cheap at an antique mall because of the multi colored lights that look neat in the dark.

The 30 lb. laptop is used for ATCS which shows railroad signalling, in this case the busy NS Chicago line in northern Indiana.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Yes, loved the Robyn multi-colored lights. I obtained a small bag full 'o colored threaded lenses when I purchased one of the Robyn scanners. I was able to illuminate all of my Robyn's with multi-colors when scanning. Was quite a sight, way before LED's were available. When I sold the Robyns, I couldn't find the extra lenses in a little zip-lock bag. After we moved another 2-3 times, I found them, but "lost" them again somewhere in my stock. I couldn't locate them when someone else was inquiring about the lenses, and to this day, I don't know where they are squirreled away.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Sweet setup! Good job! I like your collection. I have some old collectibles both on my desk mixed with the new, and a few old relics in a box in my barn. Makes for a good contrast :)

JD
kf4anc

ka1njl

Very nice. Perhaps it is because I am getting older but I really appreciate the history of our hobby. You have encapsulated it in your shack along with the ability to monitor modern modes. Your setup is both functional and attractive.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Looks efficient to me. No clutter mess across a desk. No wires protruding out to look ugly. Thanks for posting. Gives me an idea for my future setup. I still have my bearcat scanner from 86 (see sig). Once I get my outdoor antenna up this spring, will work on my shack. Good job.

hamstang

Premium Subscriber
Great looking setup. I've been buying and using scanners since the early 1970's Bearcats. I think it should be pointed out that today's digital scanners are not really more expensive than scanners were 40 years ago, adjusting for inflation. And the new scanners have way more features.

Stecomp

Thanks for all the comments. The PRO2006 is pretty even with the bct15x for milair and vhf hi frequencies with the 800xlt also doing quite well on vhf hi. The SDS200 and 996p2 surprisingly are no slouches either on these bands but they exclusively monitor p25 simulcast systems with the 200 dedicated to one system the 996 and HP2 have a little trouble decoding at times.

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
Very nice set-up. When I first was introduced to the world of scanning in 1989, crystal based scanners were still being used. I was visiting a friend out of state and her friend had one and let me borrow it while I was in town as I had just become an EMT (she was a dispatcher for the local sheriff). I was hooked immediately. I loved watching the crystals light up. When I got home, I begged my parents to take me to Radio Shack and buy me a scanner. It took a few days, but finally they did and we were all set to get one, but the clerk said crystals were being phased out and it would be more cost-effective to get a new, programmable, one because I wouldn't have to buy a crystal for each agency I wanted to listen to. I was bummed I wouldn't get the "dancing lights" but I did still get a scanner. To this day, though, I wish I'd gotten a crystal scanner.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
I would love to find my Peterson H/L 44, and as far as dancing lights I had to rewire my Pro 7 and Pro 77 so that the scanning lights only lit when the squelch opened. Was very distracting while driving at night.
A $265.00 Bearcat 210 (1977) would be about $2000.00 today, but then again you got more for your money back then.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I loved the 'dancing lights' on my old MonitorRadio Executive scanner, but after being in storage for a few years in the barn they stopped working. I had bought one crystal for the vhf fire in my area and the squelch opens but it's just static so it has become a boat anchor soon to be retired to the old radio graveyard in my barn. I look for another now and then on eBay but no luck so far. Those lights were cool on my desk, but the new SDS scanners dazzling display blows anything else away. Still, if the red lights on that old thing still worked and it would pick up my local vhf fire calls, I'd have it on all the time just for the visual :)

JD
kf4anc

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
And my wife says I have a problem! This is an awesome use of the new and the old and making it work for himself! I am impressed!

Mike

Bob1955

Initially this old homemade bookcase was going to be just for some of my old timer crystal scanners-basically a neat light show. It's evolved a bit to a part active listening post and part museum. Top half is the action and the bottom half is enjoying retirement but are occasionally fired up for the scan show. The G4 and SDS100 are generally on the move- downstairs with a 436 or as my go to mobile units.

Bookcase on other side of desk has more vintage guys with the Pro 2006 the only one hooked up and used for active monitoring, mainly rail and air. I have various speakers placed left or right or below, either bluetooth type or traditional Uniden speakers for monitoring some of the scanners. Helps to immediately know which agency is talking by the direction its coming from.

Have 2 discones in the attic that feed 3 of the scanners. The front originally had a nice MDF board cut out for the scanners but after changing things around in the past decided to cover it up with present foam board cutout.
Had to patiently wait a month plus for the SDS200 to return from Uniden for hum repair to complete the basically
$0 shack. By the way, I can hear the 200 just fine from behind the cover with just internal speaker and now no hum!

In rack - bct15x SDS200 996p2 Bearcat BCH (the original from 1968-cant even lock out channels) Robyn 8+8 RS pro77 Regency ACT E 8H Bearcat 3 & 4. Other rack - Realistic PRO 2006 Regency MX4000 Regency ACT 10 Regency ACT M 8H Uniden 800xlt. know, I know, not a very manly desk!

View attachment 69611View attachment 69612View attachment 69613
Very nice set up, use it in GOOD HEALTH!

PS: I was in the wholesale furniture industry(account executive) for many years, now retired. Who makes that desk shown in your set-up? Just curious. I'm still well-connected in this industry so if any members need help buying furniture, let me know?

Status
Not open for further replies.