Source for RG-400 with N Connector jumpers

Status
Not open for further replies.

N8SHA

This is me!
Does anybody have a source for quality RG-400 jumpers with N connectors? I need a couple 3 footers.

I've tried to make my own and keep screwing them up (shorts). It's getting to the point I'm wasing more money in connectors than its worth.

I've using Times N connectors for LMR 195 - which is what the correct size for RG-400 cable if I understand correctly. The double braid on the RG400 makes it close to impossible to slide the crimp shield on. Literally have to grab it with a pair of pliers and pound it down. Just guessing that this is what is screwing it up. :sneaky:

DX Engineering wants $90 a pop for a 3ft cable. There must be a better deal out there.

Matt

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
Does anybody have a source for quality RG-400 jumpers with N connectors? I need a couple 3 footers.

I've tried to make my own and keep screwing them up (shorts). It's getting to the point I'm wasing more money in connectors than its worth.

I've using Times N connectors for LMR 195 - which is what the correct size for RG-400 cable if I understand correctly. The double braid on the RG400 makes it close to impossible to slide the crimp shield on. Literally have to grab it with a pair of pliers and pound it down. Just guessing that this is what is screwing it up. :sneaky:

DX Engineering wants $90 a pop for a 3ft cable. There must be a better deal out there.

Matt
If you have to pound on the connectors to get them on the coax you have the wrong connectors.

N8SHA

This is me!
If you have to pound on the connectors to get them on the coax you have the wrong connectors.
Can you suggest which the correct connectors would be? RG-400 has an outside diameter of .195 according to the specs I see, presumably a connector built for LMR195 should work.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The outer jacket is the same diameter, but the center conductor diameters are a bit different. The dielectric is larger on the RG-400.

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
Can you suggest which the correct connectors would be? RG-400 has an outside diameter of .195 according to the specs I see, presumably a connector built for LMR195 should work.
Are you sure you don’t have RG-58 connectors?

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
The body and center pin of an RG-58 connector is compatible with RG-400 and RG-142 but the crimp ferrule for RG-400 has a larger ID to accommodate the double shield. I’ve installed hundreds of connectors on RG-142 and 400.
I’ve installed hundreds and one connectors on RG-142, that’s the reason I asked. Been there, done that on the wrong connectors for RG-142.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
I’ve installed hundreds and one connectors on RG-142, that’s the reason I asked. Been there, done that on the wrong connectors for RG-142.
If the specs for the connector says it fits RG-142 then it usually works fine. Some ferrules can fit tight where I have to close the crimpers on the cable behind the ferrule and use that to push it over this braid but they always go on. An RG-58 only connector will not go on and can cut into the braid if you force it.

Over the years I’ve bought a lot of low PIM silver plated N connectors with gold pins on eBay in the $2.50 each range so they are not expensive.

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
An RG-58 only connector will not go on and can cut into the braid if you force it.
Which is what the OP stated he’s having to do. Hence my questioning if they are for RG-58. ;)

ArloG

Crazy. The only N Type crimp connectors I have were already on cables. I have a box full of high quality compression connectors I got from Skycraft Surplus years ago. A walk in to the store will amaze you versus what they have on the website.

Status
Not open for further replies.