South American VOLMET 11387 USB into South Texas - 6/5/2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
The South American VOLMET Broadcast is coming in under HFDL broadcasts today 6/5/2008 at 21:25z. It was faint, but could have Montevideo (Uruguay)

Propagation has been fantastic over the past 2 days on HF.

SAR923

The only VOLMET station I can find in Uruguay is Carrasco and highest freqency it seems to broadcast on is 8.873 MHz. Looks like 11.387 is used exclusively by Southeast Asia and Australia. Maybe you really had a good catch on this one. See http://www.dxinfocentre.com/volmet.htm for where I'm getting my information.

SAR923

Yeah, I think it must have been either Singapore or Mumbai. I've managed to pull both of them in rarely here in Alabama but the static and noise floor is killing me right now. What are you using for receiver and antenna? I've got Kaito KA1103, which is surprisingly good at VOLMET stations, and a trapped longwire about 20 feet up in the attic.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I am using an AR5000 fed to an approx 100ft triangle loop in the backyard on a PAR balun. The noise floor during the afternoon has been really high lately, but sunset propagation has been fantastic this spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.