Southeast Louisiana military air question

OrangeRider

Premium Subscriber
I'm located in Southeast Louisiana, not terribly far from MSY airport, but closer to the Mississippi river. I often see a variety such as T38, F5, C130, T6, blackhawk, etc (quite often following the river). I know there's a joint naval base in Belle Chase, but many of these crafts may or may not be associated with that base.

If there is, what's the best way to listen to comms from these crafts? I currently have a BCD436HP, and also a SDS200 that I haven't used as much as I'd like just yet.

Thanks in advance

jsoergel

436 will be your best bet for air band. T-6/T-38/F-5 will have one radio on UHF (225-400) for ATC and another on UHF for tactical. C-130 and UH-60 will likely be on VHF for ATC.

Your best bet is to check ADSB. Most will show up on there (maybe not the T-38s or F-5s). Post the callsigns here and I can suggest which freqs you’ll want to listen for.

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
Ditto on the 436.

I would program all VHF and UHF freqs on JRB New Orleans AND New Orleans TRACON.

Last edited:

OrangeRider

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your replies. Will definitely use those recommendations (y).

Would love to hear some B52's. I noticed there were a couple flying earlier today. Unfortunately, they're usually in the northwest part of Louisiana, and not often in the southeast area. But will definitely check those frequencies when they're somewhat close.

Thanks 👍

Enforcer52

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
Last week the B52s were flying around Leesville and Fort Polk a lot, you should be able to pick them up when they are that far south.

OrangeRider

Premium Subscriber
Will definitely try next time. Are there usually a lot of comms from them when they're out and about?

OrangeRider

Premium Subscriber
Curious, a couple replies indicated the 436 (vs sds200) would be the way for me to go for air band. Why is that? Is the SDS200 not good at those frequencies? Just curious.

Thanks

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
Also the AR Tracks.... several come very close to your area

436 vs sds200
-I've always had better airband experiences with the 436/536 radios versus the SDS. Not to say the SDS will not work, but my little 125AT seems to do better. I'm not sure if this is a built in bias in my head.

OrangeRider

Premium Subscriber
Slayer816, what are the AR Tracks you're referring to? Kinda lost me on that one.

Getting back to the 436 and sds200, I had considered selling (or swapping) my 436 for a sds100. In hind sight, maybe a good thing I didn't. If anything, I'll just add a sds100, and keep the 436 as well. Or maybe even add a 125AT at its modest cost.

Thanks